XIII. TWENTY-THREE DAYS SINCE

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
"twenty-three days since"

CHAPTER THIRTEEN "twenty-three days since"

Carol Danvers.

She was the signal. She was what the device was calling.

"Who are you?" Steve asked.

"Carol Danvers," Jade breathed.

Everyone turned to where Jade was standing and looked at her weirdly, no one knew who this woman was but Jade somehow did.

"You know her?" Rhodey asked, pointing towards Carol and crossed his arms.

"I read about her," she said, walking closer to her. "If Fury was sending out the message, I knew he had to have known them— whoever it was. It took a lot of hacking into and searching through his secret files and such, but I never found anything that was related to the pager. But I found hers and read on her files— although I didn't think she was the one on the other end."

"You're smart," Carol smirked towards Jade. "You don't look too good, kid."

"Don't worry about it right now," Jade said feeling the pressure on her.

"Okay," Carol dragged out the word, pausing for a second to look at everyone staring at her. "Again, where's Fury?"

"How do you know Fury? Why haven't we ever heard of you?" Natasha asked.

"It's a long story and I gave him the pager, so he called me. Where is he?" Carol said starting to get annoyed that no one was answering her.

"He's gone," Jade said lightly. She knew they had to have had a history together and she's worried about him. "He's been snapped."

"Snapped? What the hell does that mean?!"

So the Avengers explained what happened. They explained how the Infinity Stones were collected by Thanos and he snapped half of life away, including Fury.

"Where is he?" She asked. Her face was blank and no one could see what she was thinking.

"We don't know..." Steve said wearily. "We're trying to figure that out."

Carol stared at them for a moment, then turned around and walked out of the lab without a word.

Everyone looked at each other in confusion and stayed still.

But Jade followed her outside, walking as fast as she could— she wasn't letting her go just yet. When she made it outside she saw Carol starting to glow and Jade's eyes popped out of her head.

"Wait!" Jade yelled but Carol started flying in the air already.

She knew they needed her. They needed Carol Danvers. But Jade couldn't fly, so she took a deep breath and waved her hands around and created her first portal in two weeks.