XLVI. FIRE MONSTER

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX
"fire monster"

CHAPTER FORTY-SIX  "fire monster"

Jade loved fireworks. They were one of her favorite things to watch when she was younger.

She was sitting against a small wall of the Cathedral Tower, waiting on the monster to show up— which felt weird. Waiting on danger to show up. No one could see her and the people below laughing and having a good time didn't know their night was about to be ruined. She felt horrible about it, they know danger could happen at any moment (or that it was possible)— why didn't they evacuate the city?

She made it before Peter did, the two splitting up once they left the opera. He was acting kinda strange when they left, avoiding eye contact with her or being bland when he answered a question. Did he know? Her stomach tightened at the thought of him knowing.

"Alright. I'm in position. Uh... As soon as I see something, Beck, I'll, uh, I'll let you know," Peter said, jumping down beside Jade.

"Roger that," Beck said over the comms.

"How's the suits?" Fury asked.

"I would like to complain, but I can't," Jade said, still a little annoyed by the fact that they made suits for them and she didn't get to design.

"The suit's great. It's awesome," Peter said, looking around. "It's a little tight around the ol' web-shooter."

"Parker!"

"Okay, I'll shut up," Peter said quietly.

Jade laughed, which caused Peter to turn around and look at her.

"Your suit looks good," he said, trying to keep his eyes away from her visible chest. His cheeks were burning red— luckily his mask was on.

"I guess yours does too," Jade rolled her eyes playfully. So he doesn't know?

"It'll never beat yours," he said and Jade could tell he was smiling. That made her smile— and blush.

"I wish we didn't have to worry about this," Jade spoke up after a moment of silence. "That the world could just be normal and not always attacked."

"So do I," Peter replied. He opened his mouth to say something else but was cut off by Fury.

"Energy spiking," He said.

"We have seismic activity," Maria followed.

Jade looked around for any signs of the monster and noticed the big fountain starting to steam up. She nudged Peter and pointed towards the fountain, then red tentacle-like-arms started wrapping around the fountain's statue, and suddenly, the fire monster popped out of nowhere.

"Ok, he's here! Beck, you ready? You know what to do," Peter said quickly.

"On your lead, Spider-Man," Beck said.