✓ FORTY.

chapter forty
"C.H.U.D."

      "THEY SAID WHEN HOLLIS DISAPPEARED—"

"—That you would shut the eff up!"

      Lynn almost gasped at Pope's sudden burst of (uncharacteristic) anger, but then understood the brunette boy since JJ was only scaring the teenagers even more. They were still awaiting both Kie's and Sarah's signal, otherwise known as the motion sensor light just shutting off. Lynn was a bit worried, not that they couldn't handle themselves, but because she was concerned they would be chopped up into little pieces and the teenagers waiting outside the porch would be next.

      Just as Lynn was about to speak up with her anxiety, the bright light disappeared. The four peered at each other, almost surprised they were able to do it. JJ whistled as they did so, and Lynn purses her lips in defeat.

      "They did it. Go time," John B spoke up, and then he glanced to his fellow best friends around him. "Three, two, just go."

      He was completely and utterly annoyed, though, because while he began with his counting down — both Lynn and JJ bluntly ignored him as they started to creep out of the bushes before he had come any close to finishing.

      They slowly made their way into the same dark, creepy hole that led them to the basement earlier in the day. They carried all the rope they would need, and as soon as they were next to the black well, they came to a halt. Lynn tugged on the black bandana covering most of her face, letting her take in a deep breath again. JJ stared at the girl while she did so, and licked his lips as he found it extremely hot.

      "Holy crap, y'know what this is?"

      Lynn glanced up to JJ as he handed her some rope, and she looked at him questionably to see what he was going on about.

      "It just hit me," JJ stated, and Lynn passed off the rope to Pope so he could start tying it off to the a nearby wooden post. "This is C.H.U.D. Full C.H.U.D."

      "What is he talking about?" Questioned John B, gazing to Lynn and Pope for the answer. Pope appeared just as confused, but Lynn only had a dully shocked expression.

      "This is why y'all should come to me and JJ's movie night," Lynn countered, and she placed a hand on her chest dramatically with a fake amount of disbelief written in her expression. "Then you'd know what he was talking about."

      "Cannibalistic humanoid underground dwellers?" JJ continued, and then he grinned at Lynn, mostly because they actually both enjoyed watching the movie together. "Have you guys not seen that film?"

      Pope poured his lips out as he pinched his eyebrows together, "No, can't say I have."

       "It's actually a good film," JJ explained, snd then he gazed down the dark well. "It's about like, cannibals they live in the sewers and under New York City, and it's like—"