Bonus Kabanata: Graduation Days (Part 8)

My Valedictory Address:
Fable of a Flawful Friend

In my journey in PLMar, there were rough roads and sturdy bridges, inspiration and destruction, choices and decisions and for the reasons stated I was awarded as the Journalist of the Year and ranked as the #4 cum laude of this year. For me, these are just titles, titles that I could use to better my future tomorrow. But still I would then often ask myself, from being a big fat ugly gay, how did I become the person I am today?

Now, I would like you to formally meet the people who have transformed me in the likeness of Jesus. My immeasurable love and gratitude to the ones who have molded the strong-willed, fearless, and forever overflowing with fierceness version of Jahric Lago. My shout-out to the following:

To my HRM professors, who have taught me good things and sharpened my skills in the field I wanted to be, especially to Prof. Rose Marie Villanueva, Prof. Cristina Monaquil, Prof. Beth Rubis, and Prof. Carina Paz-Corpuz, for not just being wonderful teachers but also good friends.

To Dean Jose Florante Singson, for being the instrument of God for me to strive for better future and to fight for my rights no matter what. Yes, there are people who put you down, people who don’t believe in you, but I would never replace you over anyone, you would always be and forever will be my handsomest (ehem!), kindest Dean ever.

To my first mentors in writing, Prof. Robert Alegre and Prof. Carlota Panganiban, glad that you both believed in the things I could do. I hope that you continue to help others achieve their lifelong dreams.

To Prof. Archy Palanggoy, first I would never have received my diploma for it wasn’t for you, University Registrar eh, kidding aside, thank you for the support you always give, not just to me but to the whole HRM studentry, you would always be that number one supporter. Thank you for becoming my friend and I hope you continue to make people happy. Stay jolly and thoughtful.

To the whole crew of CPAIPS, thank you guys for you have inspired me to be the “better” Editor-in-Chief as I could be. I truly hope that I have inspired all of you to never stop writing and to always reach for your dreams regardless of how complicated the journey would take. Dream big and stay fierce!

To Prof. Emil Daroy, for being the kindest and fun-est, Director, mother, mentor and a true friend, thank you for always being there for me, through thick and thin, in sickness and in health (wow!), but honestly, my ‘thank you’ is not enough to measure up to the blessings you have bestowed upon me. May you continue to become God’s instrument in inspiring the rest of PLMarians.

To all the guys and girls I loved before (ehem!), thank you for both loving and hurting me at the same time. Besides, better to love and get hurt than never to experience love. You know who you are! You all made me stronger than yesterday, so, thank you.

To my CSG family (both ACE and KSP), Angels Association, Upl8rz and all my klasmeyts, thank you for constantly showering your love for me. Jetro, Vina, Bryan, Mark, Joseph, Marie, Djhoanna, Rhena and Joana, I would forever miss our CSG days, the meetings that would turn to arguments and would end with hugs, the KFC lunches and dinners. I hope everything would stay the same. Hope we could still catch up on each other even though life would be getting busier. To Tosca, Nicole, Abegail, Sabrina, Sarah, Joah, Zildjan, I know that we all have parted ways long before, have chosen new people to stay with, but my love for all of you would stay the same until the end of time. Also, to Marga and Apol, thank you for being my best-est gay friends ever. I would have not lasted my time in PLMar being the only queen, so, thank you for sharing the crown with me. To Cheska, my only FRF, thank you for always staying by my side, through hardships and joys, through “backspaces” and “spacebars”, I would have not chosen any other person to become my lifelong bestfriend but you. Forever real friends, ha! To my two girlfriends, Alyssa and Melanie, thank you for being present in the moments that the world has fallen on me. Thank you for staying true to me, to all our little misunderstandings and mega flirting on the side, thank you. To TFF (The Fierce Five), Harilyn, Julie Ann, Janice and Heidi, thank you for the true friendship you have given me. In times of my “bipolar-ness”, thank you for not leaving my side even how much strong my mood swings were. Please never change and everlastingly stay as my super duper real friends. To all Upl8rz and friends: Emily, Bea, Kimberly, Helen, Efren, Jomari, Alona, Basi, Eldon, Allan, Wena, Roxette, Aubrey, Paul, Cherry, Marvin, Ivan, Welson, Odessa and many more, thank you for being the nonstop support system in everything I do, whether writing, hosting, and just anything. To all, thank you for the irreplaceable memories and unforgettable adventures we shared with each other. May we all stay friends forever and continue to make new adventures.

To my family, relatives in and outside the Philippines, my ever supportive cousins, to all my aunties and uncles, lolo and lola, thank you for the unlimited love, belief and support you always have for me. My love for my parents will live on forever! To Papa Ricky, even though we had fights I still love you and appreciated every little thing you do for me. To Mama Ising for always being there for me, pushing me past my borders. Thank you so much Mama for everything you have provided me: money, love, support, and everything nice. You’ll always be my #1 idol. You may not be perfect but you’re the only greatest mom I know. I would never trade you to anyone or anything. Our love is supernatural… I love you so much, Mama. To my siblings, Kuya and Ate, thanks for the brotherly and sisterly love you give me. To Tita Monic, Tita Virgie, Tita Lanie and Tita Margie, thank you for all the financial support you had offered. May more blessings shower on you!

Above all, my greatest gratitude would be to God, I am a Manileño, not a pure guy from Marikina, but the warm reception I received from Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Marikina was incomparable to the Universities I attended in Manila. I always tell people that the environs of PLMar, as I first set foot at it, were invigorating probably because of the jovial people in it, too. Thank you God for You has shown me the trail to a new horizon, the steps on becoming filled with high quality education, and life-changing experiences—the path to PLMar.

I am not perfect, and I would never be perfect. I would always have flaws that some people would think as odd and probably inappropriate. But my imperfections have made the person I am today. Sometimes I like being different, because being different means you are unique, and being unique is rare, and being rare is beautiful. Without the challenges in my life, without the mistakes I have created, without the wrong decisions I made, I would not know how to become true to myself, become tough in making changes in life, would not become an epitome of fierceness, would not become a better version of myself.

My story as a PLMarian can be compared to the tale of the Ugly Duckling. I was an ugly duckling when I entered PLMar but because of the changes that happened to me—both inside and out—now I will be graduating as a beautiful swan with high hopes, big dreams, and eagerness to strive for excellence in the coming bright future. Never stop chasing your dreams, if I, Jahric Lago, a flawful person, was able to reach my dreams. You can, too. Anyone can. Just believe in yourself and have faith in Him.

—Jahric Lago, April 8, 2014
Prof. Emil Daroy’s Home, Marikina City

O ‘di ba lakas maka-nobela ng graduation speech kuno ko. Wala tayong magagawa writer eh. Balik tayo sa graduation proper. No’ng nagsimula na ‘yong graduation namin sa PLMar akala ko talaga maiiyak ako, hindi eh. Super tuwa ko! Seeing my mama and papa very, very proud of me. I could see through my mama’s eyes na super teary-eyed no’ng sinabitan niya ako ng medalya not once but twice. Kasi nga cum laude ako at Journalist of the Year pa. Again, CUM LAUDE AT JOURNALIST OF THE YEAR. Yabang much? Well, not really nagyayabang, I wanted to inspire you na maging cum laude din... at Journalist of the Year pa. Well, okay lungs mag-yabang paminsan-minsan just make sure may ipagyayabang ha. Pero siguro kaya hindi rin ako naiyak noon dahil I was overwhelmed with bliss. Ngayon, seryoso ‘to ha, naiiyak ako writing this part of the story. Kainis! Nasa Foodcourt pa naman ako ng SM Sta. Mesa habang sinusulat ko ‘to, ang daming tao, tapos kung makaiyak ako ‘kala mo naman may nangagaw ng kendi ko. Basta isa lang masasabi ko: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

BE FRIENDS WITH JAHRIC LAGO! ❤
Facebook: /JahricLagoOfficial
YouTube: /JahricLago
Instagram: @JahricLago
Wattpad: @JahricLago