14

We got into our ready starting positions.

I somehow got a spot as a starter. Libero's usually get subbed in at first.

Since we were receiving first, I was in the serving spot.

The other team served the ball over and it went directly to me.

First hit of the game.

It was an easy serve, I popped it up to the setter's position. She threw the first set to Captain, who hit it at an open spot in the back.

Great way to start this set.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't believe we lost that first set.

Our team put up a good fight, but our offensive wasn't as great as our defensive.

Constant serves and hits from the other team made their way to me and I luckily didn't have a single ball drop.

But, we lost so many points from Akari.

I'm not trying to be rude either, we all know it.

She kept trying to hit the ball as hard as she could instead of focusing on anything else.

She hit some out, some got blocked, and a few went into the net.

"AH!" We hear a big slap coming from captain. She hit her face so hard, harder than usual. "I'm sorry ladies! I could've saved a lot more of those blocked balls and so many of my hits were out!"

"No captain. It was my fault." Akari tells her. She bows and starts to get a little teary.

Captain looked at her and slapped her cheeks too. She cupped Akari's face in her hands.

"It doesn't matter who's fault it is. We will take the second set, then the next! We are winning this match!" Captain was sure of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I can't believe we lost that match.

"Shake it off girls. We'll work on all of our improvements tomorrow. You guys all did great." Captain tells us before we dismantle our huddle. We thank the other school for coming then everyone leaves.

The game lasted nearly 30 minutes. A normal volleyball game is around an hour. Yikes.

"Padema, you still need that ride?" Captain asks me.

"If that's okay." I tell her.

She gives me a smile and nod then gets her stuff.

Daichi asked her beforehand to give me a ride back to the camp after the game.

Thankfully, the drive is short.

We get in her car and I can still feel her energy. There's so much of it.

How is she still so positive after losing our first type of game this whole year. It is also her last year.

I could never.

"So, how was your first highschool game experience?" She breaks the silence in the car.

I just shrug.

"It was like any other game." I could tell my response wasn't what she was hoping for. "But, I did have some fun."

"That's great! I think liberos are so cool. They get to touch the ball the most and everyone loves a great save just as much as an amazing spiker." She gushes.

We get close to the camp and she drives into the lot.

"Captain, could I work on other things during practice tomorrow?" I try not to seem pushy before I leave her car.

"Of course!" She's too nice for me.

"You know, their game didn't start too long ago. Want to watch them play with me?" I decide to invite her.

I assume they aren't done yet, since our game lasted for two seconds.

"I would love to, but I have a lot of work to do at home. Maybe next time." She tells me. I give her a nod and exit the car. "Good job today."

"Thanks. You too, and thanks for the ride." I reply before closing the door.

"Anything for my favorite first year." She gives me a thumbs up and I slightly smile, then awkwardly closes the door.

She drove off and I make my way through the camp to the official gym.

I hear the sounds of volleyball shoes squeaking against the floor.

I know since I wasn't here at the start of the game, I would just have to sit in the stands.

I get up there and see two guys from the Neighborhood Association team.

"Oh hey." The one with glasses and that jump float serve from before greets me. "You go to Karasuno right?"

"Yeah." I decide to sit by them since I didn't know where to go.

"I'm Makoto Shimada." The glasses guy introduces himself and I shake his hand.

"I'm Yusuke Takinoue, pleasure to meet you." The blonde guy next to him also shakes my hand. He looks at me up and down, which at first made me uncomfortable, then I remembered, I'm still wearing my jersey and stuff. "You play volleyball?"

"Yep." We all sit down and pay attention to the game.

Wow, it's only the first set and they're already already winning.

I see Kuroo standing off of the court and Kenma inside. Well of course, the setter stays in almost the whole game.

But these guys play weird, they set up a three person block on the left side.

"Nekoma decided to move their blockers to the side." Takinoue points out.

"Mhm, an area block." Shimada agrees.

I didn't even know that was a name. Maybe they're doing it on purpose.

"Have Kageyama and Hinata showed them, their quick attack?" I ask the two.

"Yep. It's crazy fast too. I love it." Shimada tells me.

I love it too, but that also makes sense why they're doing an area block.

Hinata spikes at any open area he sees, so if they block off one area already, they're ready for him to move to the other.

Smart play.

Just as I expected, Hinata went to the other side of the blockers and one of them followed him.

But, he hits with his eyes close, so there's no way he can aim it away from him.

The blocker gets a one touch on the attack and Nekoma's libero is able to pass it.

Kenma jumps up for a set- woah.

"A setter dump." Takinoue exclaims.

Nishinoya couldn't get to it in time either.

Wow. Kenma is definitely more brains than brawn in my opinion.

Nekoma tries to land a soft spike on them but, Tanaka gets to it in time.

I thought Kageyama would try and go for a back row set but, instead he calls for one.

That's new.

Nishinoya bump sets it to him and he jumps up gives them a straight hit. It was such a perfect straight too.

Almost makes me mad.

They even put Kuroo in. The game went by a little faster now that both teams know their opponents.

But, Nekoma still stole that lead from us. It was 24-22, match point for them.

I don't understand how, but when Hinata went for his quick attack, one of the blockers got to him on time.

They won the set to a one handed block.

That says a lot about them.