1

"Where did you put my brace Daichi?" I shout from the top of the staircase.

"Don't yell Padema." My mother says as she walks past me.

I groan and go down the stairs to talk normally with him.

"I told you already, I didn't touch it." Daichi calls back from the kitchen. I enter the room and see him eating breakfast at the table. "Eat up. You don't want to be hungry on your first day of high school."

"I also don't wanna be in pain." I mutter under my breath.

I do in fact start my first day of high school today, at Karasuno. Despite my consistent knee pain I have, I've also applied to Karasuno's girls volleyball team.

Daichi basically forced me.

Something about how, "I'm a third year, so I know best. Plus it will be fun." but I don't know. I played in middle school, but just because I was bored.

"Let's go Padema." My brother is by the door already with his backpack and duffel bag. "I'll start the car."

I devour the last bit of my food and sprint upstairs to get my bags, then return back down and into the car.

"Buckled in?" Daichi asks, with his hand already on the wheel.

"Mhm." I give him a dull tone.

"Oh, don't be so grumpy. You're starting high school at Karasuno today! Cheer up kid." He punches my shoulder to end his spirit-filled statement.

Once he realized, I wasn't responding with the same energy, he nearly sighed and started our way to school.

I double check my bags to make sure I have everything.

Well, everything except for my- what the?

I slowly take out my knee brace buried at the bottom of my bag. I could feel Daichi looking at me through the corner of his eye.

A satisfied sigh was heard from him, leaving me feeling slightly embarrassed.

I quietly mutter, "Sorry for blaming you."

"I'm sorry," he puts his open hand to his ear. "What was that?"

"I said sorry." I repeat once more.

"Couldn't hear you, could you repeat it?" he pushes.

"I SAID IM SORRY FOR BLAMING YOU." basically out of my seat, I scream at him. All he does is laugh at me at my steaming head. "Oh hush."

We turn into the school lot and park. Both of us carry our bags, Daichi slightly in front of me, to guide the way.

"I have to go to the club hall to get the applicants. Want to come? Afterwards I can take you to the gym." He asks me.

I reply to his offer with a nod and follow him.

We enter a building crowded with people. I clench onto my brothers bag to not lose him.

I'm not really a people person. Daichi is probably the only person I talk to a lot.

I joined volleyball in middle school, not to make friends, but because my brother did it. And like I expected, I didn't really make any friends out of it either.

Daichi stops when he meets with two other guys.

They're tall, like him.

"What's up Daichi." The one with the buzzcut exclaims.

The three all say their greetings, then noticed me. Specifically the guy with the buzzcut.

"Well hello there. I'm Ryūnosuke Tanaka, second year and who might you be?"