we fought until the sun rose

title: COFFIN ft eminem - jessie reyez

elle's POV

------------------------------

"hey, what's up" i answer as i get a call from jess. i see billie turn and look at me and then back at the tv, turning it down a little. "i just wanted to apologize. for everything. i should've just kept my feelings to myself." jess responds. "no, i'm glad you told me." i tell her. "sorry my roommate wants to talk to you." jess explains. "okay" i furrow my eyebrows a little.

"is this elle?" an unfamiliar voice asks. "yes, may i ask who i'm speaking to please?" i ask, trying to be as polite as possible. first impressions are very important in the evans family. "my name is kendra, i'm jess's roommate. i thought i'd let you know that your wife paid us a visit today." she starts. "oh, really? are you sure?" i ask. "yes, a little shorter than jess with green roots and black hair?" she describes billie and i furrow my eyebrows more.

when did billie go see jess?

just as i think this, i remember the words billie told me a few days ago. 

~"if anyone hurt you i'd beat them up"~

i look over at billie and she gives me a small smile. "anyway, she came over and so i left. but when i came back jess was crying and she told me that your wife came and slapped her in the face and broke a mason jar of hers." she explains. "i am so sorry, may i please speak with jess again?" i ask, standing up and walking out to the backyard. "yes, here she is." she answers and i wait a second before hearing jess's voice once again. "elle, i don't know what she's talking about" jess tells me. "did billie hit you or not jess?" i ask in a serious tone. "did she come to your place or not?" i question after getting no response. "god damn it! i'll call you back." i groan and hang up, shoving my phone into my pocket. i scream as loud as i can, trying to get out all my anger but it doesn't work. the door opens and billie comes running out, almost tackling me in a hug. "get off of me" i yell and squirm out of her grip. "what's going on?" she asks with a worried look. "did you or did you not go to jess's dorm and hit her?" i ask. she looks down at her feet and bites her nails. "answer me billie." i order. "i'm sorry elle. but i meant what i said. if anyone hurt you, i'll beat them up. i know it wasn't the best decision but you know it breaks my heart to see you in any pain. i didn't do anything too violent." she defends. "this is no time for excuses god damn it!" i yell. "elle please. stop yelling" billie says, obviously afraid. "don't give me that look! i can't believe you would do something like this!" i put my arms up and let them drop to my sides. "elle, please try to understand. if someone had made me cry half as much as you did, i know for a fact you'd want them to feel the same kind of pain." she tells me. "but that's the thing! i didn't cause anyone pain!" i yell once again. "what about magnolia?" she asks, tilting her head a little.

she fucking didn't bring her into this. 

"how dare you bring that up? and that was way different." i respond. "how?" she furrows her eyebrows. "well first of all, she kissed you when she knew you were in a relationship and all jess did was tell me she had feelings for me" i explain. "how am i supposed to know how far it would've gone?" she yells. "i'm going to claudia's." i say after a long hesitation. i see billie cover her mouth, obviously in denial of what she just said. i walk past her and to our room, grabbing some clothes and putting on my shoes. i pick up blu and walk out of the house as billie tries to follow me. "please don't leave me elle. please." billie sniffles. "i just need some time to process this all." i respond and shut the door to my car once i get in. "i love you." she tells me. "i love you too." i answer and drive away. 

once i get to claudia's house i knock on the door and finneas answers groggily. "elle, what are you doing here?" he furrows his eyebrows a little. i sniffle and he instantly wraps his arms around me in a warm embrace. "it's okay. come on." he tells me in a calming voice, bringing me inside.