Fifty-Six

Some of Josiah's intermediate family are at Hattie's house discussing Elijah's funeral plans

Some of Josiah's intermediate family are at Hattie's house discussing Elijah's funeral plans. They've been there for hours and no one can seem to agree on anything. Hattie gives Diana death glares while trying to get Jaxson from Josiah but he's too spoiled to go to anyone else. Elijah's mother, Meka, keeps falling out or crying too hard to speak. Trina continues to cry, thinking about how she just made jokes with her cousin and now he's dead. Giovanni, on the other hand, doesn't have a care in the world as he continues to drink his vodka with his feet propped up on the coffee table.

"Gio, get yo feet off my damn table and JoJo, make that baby stop crying." Hattie says while fanning Meka with a church fan, waking her up.

"I'm trying granny. He's just sleepy." Josiah says, rocking his son.

"We need to hurry up and figure this shit out. No disrespect but I got somewhere to be. Elijah blew his brains out so of course we need to have a closed casket funeral. The boy was a crip so the color scheme will be blue. If y'all feeling fancy, throw a lil black in there too.. we need to have the funeral ASAP so we can get it over with and everybody can go on about their lives. I don't know about y'all but I'm not about to keep sitting here while aunt Meka acting an ass. Its gone be enough crying at the funeral. I don't wanna hear that shit right now. I really dont even know why we're having a funeral. All that shit he did, we know his ass in hell." Giovanni laughs, making the room gasp.

Meka gets up from the couch and walks over to Giovanni, looking him in his eyes and slapping him. "Don't you ever disrespect my baby like that again! You fucking spoiled ass brat. You can talk to mama like that but you damn sure won't speak like that about my DEAD child!!"

Giovanni gets up to retaliate but Josiah stands in front of him, pushing him towards the wall; keeping his arm on his windpipe. "You know that was disrespectful. Watch yo mouth in granny's house and watch how you talking to our Auntie. Don't make me knock you on your ass. Put that liquor down and apologize before I make you do it." Giovanni breathes heavily as he fixes his now wrinkled shirt and nods his head slowly, letting Josiah know to let him go.

"Granny, Auntie Meka, and everyone else in this room, what I just said was inconsiderate, disrespectful, and dumb. I apologize and it won't happened again." Gio says, looking over at Josiah between each word.

Ever since one late night, two years ago, when Giovanni pissed Josiah off while he was drunk, he's been afraid of him. Josiah released all of his pent up anger on his brother, sending him to the hospital with multiple broken facial bones, internal bleeding, and a broken rib. Now Giovanni tries to stay on his brother's good side because he never knows when he'll snap and become violent again. No one could get Josiah off him, not even Hattie. It was a scary sight but much needed because it put Giovanni in his place.