Prologue

Her bedroom.

The pink and white floral bedroom where all of her memories resided along with the colorful stuffed animals and old posters scattered across the wall.

Today is the day that Bailey Denise Miller had been dreading since it happened to her big brother, Jerrico, the day after he graduated high school.

The Miller family is like no other when it comes to their children graduating. Most families congratulate the graduates, get them a car, hug them, and help them get ready for college, but not the Millers.

After running the streets and ending up in prison before his children were born, Jamal Miller, gave his life to God and decided that he would make sure his children didn't do the same by keeping them under strict rules and drilling them with scriptures from the Bible. His wife, Benita, on the other hand wanted her children to be independent and not depend on them for anything. She actually never wanted children in the first place but ended up getting pregnant twice. She always said that her children "ruined her life and ended her money making scheme."

The two came to the conclusion that the best form of discipline would be hard work and independency. Both of their children were forced to get a job at the mere age of sixteen and would be forced to move out as soon as they graduated high school. So instead of spending their money on new clothes, the movie theater, and parties, Bailey and Jerrico were saving towards buying a car and an apartment.

Jamal had no problem forcing Jerrico out because his mouth was more smart than it needed to be, but things were different with his babygirl. She was his baby! Always respected and obeyed him. He wanted Bailey to live with them as long as she needed but Benita was severely against it.

Bailey looked around her room one last time as a stray tear rolled from her right eye. She quickly wiped it away, making sure to put on a tough face before picking up the last of her boxed clothing and carrying it downstairs.

"Let me get that for you, babygirl." Her daddy said, trying to grab the box until his wife stopped him.

"She got it, Jamal. The girl is eighteen... you can't always be there for her."

"Benita, please. This it tough enough, just let me help her this one last time."

"Fine, do what you want but when she's 35 and broke calling you to pay her bills, you'll regret it." Benita scoffed, walking into the kitchen.

Benita had never been the type of mother to show affection to her children. She never baked cookies, read to them, or kissed their boo-boos. The only thing she did was turn them away whenever they needed her. Her and Jerrico's relationship was rocky but her and Bailey's relationship was the absolute worst.

"I got it, daddy. I wouldn't want to be more of a burden than I already am." Bailey sighed as she walked to her old, beat up, blue 2001 impala with the rusted bumper.

The car may not be the best thing in the world but she saved up and paid for it with her own money. It's not like her mother would let her father help her buy a better one anyway. She just prays that it lets her make it to where she's going.

"You're not a burden, Bailey. You know how your mother is. She means well." Jamal smiles, hugging his daughter tightly.

"Just because she means well doesn't mean that she's right. I'll call you when I make it to Louisiana."

"Okay sweetie. You know if it was up to me, I'd let you live with me forever. Tell your brother I said hello and to call me sometimes and always remember to keep God first, read your Bible everyday and whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." He says, ending his speech with a scripture.

The scripture came from Colossians 3:17. Bailey and her brother knew that scripture forward and backwards. It was her father's favorite one and he made sure to say it at least five times a day.

"Okay, I love you."

"I love you too, babygirl. Now be safe."

Bailey buckles her seatbelt, turns the radio on, and sticks her key into the ignition. Her car shakes, squeaking loudly before roaring multiple times then eventually starting up. She pulls out her phone and gives her brother a call before clicking the location that he sent her.

"I'm about to be on the way, D'Michael." She says, using his middle name.

"Okay, I'll be at your apartment when you get here. Be safe, Denise." Jerrico says, using Bailey's middle name as well.

It was two years ago when Bailey left the state of Mississippi and headed to New Orleans. She thought her life was hard as a teenager but nothing prepared her for life in the big city.

Her daddy always taught her about the Bible and God but he never prepared her to meet the devil, also known as Josiah Lavonte Payne.

~~~
AUTHOR'S NOTES:

🚨 PSA: THE CHARACTERS I PICKED ARE WHO I WANTED THEM TO BE!! IF YOU DON'T LIKE THEM, IMAGINE SOMEONE ELSE INSTEAD OF GIVING YOUR OPINIONS ABOUT THEM!! ANY NEGATIVE COMMENTS WILL BE DELETED AFTER I RESPOND TO THEM!!! JUST ENJOY THE BOOK OR WRITE YOUR OWN WITH THE CHARACTERS YOU PICK!!! 🚨

🚨DON'T GIVE OUT @ NAMES IN THIS BOOK! PLEASE DON'T ASK FOR @ NAMES🚨

~xxlovetoreadxx

•This book will be full of drama, sex, betrayal, real world issues, craziness etc! Read at your own risk

This book will be full of drama, sex, betrayal, real world issues, craziness etc! Read at your own risk. 18+ Audiences only!!!

©️2019 xxlovetoreadxx
All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval systems, without permission in writing from the publisher (xxlovetoreadxx).