Twenty-One

"Thank you so much for calling me, Ms

"Thank you so much for calling me, Ms. Hattie. Is he okay?" Bailey asks, standing in front of the hospital room.

"You're welcome. I just thank God that JoJo's phone was unlocked so that I could find your number. He's going to be okay." Hattie says, hugging Bailey then letting her into the room.

Bailey's eyes immediately land on Josiah who has an IV in his arm, a bandaged side, bruised cheekbone and cuts all over his slim face. His eyes are black underneath and beads of sweat roll across his forehead.

"Hey." Josiah breathes out.

"Hey??...What the hell, Josiah?"

"Come on, Giovanni. Lets give them a minute." Hattie tells her grandson and leads him out of the room.

Bailey sits down in the chair next to Josiah's bed and he slowly reaches over to touch her hand.

"Bailey, you mad at me?"

"Of course, I'm not mad at you. I'm glad you're okay.. what happened?" She asks, rubbing his hand.

"I got into a fight with a few inmates. One of them stabbed me seven times but I'll be okay. I actually was whooping their asses until the shank came out. Them niggas couldn't handle me."

"Josiah, it's not funny. You could've been hurt worse! You need to work on your temper and stop thinking you're untouchable."

" I know but I can't help it. After my parents and uncle died, I was so angry that all I could do was fight. I fought any and everybody without a care in the world. The only reason I calmed down was because I was beating this kid's ass so bad at school one day that he almost died. His parents were going to press charges until my grandma told them what I had been through. They finally decided not to press charges but only if I paid his hospital bills. That happened when I was about 15 and I'm 24 now, still paying on his bills. I messed him up bad, Bailey. He'll be in and out of the hospital for the rest of his life... I thought I had to fight to prove myself and sometimes I still think like that."

"Oh my goodness! That's crazy but you're not a helpless kid anymore. You don't have to prove yourself to anyone ever again. Maybe you should see a therapist or something to help with your anger."

"I'm not crazy!! I don't need to see a damn therapist! You sound just like everyone else." Josiah tells her, snatching his hand away then wincing in pain.

The two sit in silence for about five minutes then Bailey speaks again.

"I know you're not crazy, Josiah. I was just trying to help."

"I apologize. I didn't mean to snap at you." He says and pokes his lips out for a kiss.

Bailey stands up and kisses his lips softly, making sure she doesn't get on his wound. They stop kissing just in time because Hattie and Giovanni walk back into the room.

"JoJo, you need anything? Are you in pain?" Hattie asks him.

"No ma'am, I'm okay. I'm in pain but you know I'd rather tough it out." He says, frowning.

"Suit yourself and I'm so tired of looking at your happy head. I'm gonna go out to the car and get my brush and comb so I can do your hair. You can't be looking like a hobo while yo woman here."

Bailey laughs softly as Hattie leaves the room.

"Aye uh Bailey, can I talk to you outside?" Giovanni asks, licking his dry lips.

"HELL NAW!!! If you got sum to say to her then say it in front of me." Josiah yells, causing himself more pain. "Bailey, don't go out there with him."

"Josiah, you need to calm down before you tear your stitches. It's fine, we're just stepping outside the door." Bailey says softly.

Bailey walks out of the door first with Giovanni behind her. Once they're out in the hall, she stares at his features and notices how handsome he is. He has nothing on Josiah though. If both of them look good, she wonders what their parents looked like when they were alive.

"I don't mean to reopen closed wounds but your brother was an associate of mine. Did the law figure out what happened to him?" Giovanni asks with his hands in his pockets.

"Really? I didn't know that.. he never mentioned your name and no not yet, I'm praying that they do though."

"Yeap, we wasn't that close but I knew if I needed him that he'd show up and vice versa. Do you know who is over his case?"

"That's so nice and yeap, detective Carmichael. I can't stand his racist ass but I guess I'll deal with it until my brother's death is figured out. Whoever killed him will face the Lord on judgment day! My brother was the sweetest, caring person ever." Bailey says with watery eyes.

"Carmichael is bad news. I've heard horrible things about him so I hope your brother's case is given to someone else... so what do you and my brother got going on?"

"I knew something about him was off and we're just friends."

"That's just what I wanted to heard. Don't get me wrong, I love my brother and would do anything for him but he can't be trusted. He'll stab you in the back the first chance he gets. If you want a real nigga, you need to hit my line. I'll show you the world." Giovanni says, rubbing his hands on Bailey's face.

"Nigga, get the fuck back!! You're the one that can't be trusted, trying to come onto your brother's girl."

"Thought y'all was just friends?"

"We are!" Bailey yells then goes back into the room.

She thinks for a minute about if she should tell Josiah or not, deciding to tell him because she doesn't want any secrets between them. Secrets ruin friendships and she doesn't want that to happen.

"Bailey, what he say?" Josiah asks, sipping water from his straw.

"He was asking questions about my brother's case and he came on to me. He said you couldn't be trusted and would stab me in the back so I should be with a real nigga like him." Bailey admits, nervously.

"Ima kill his stupid ass."

"Josiah, why would he say that?"

"He's jealous of what we have. Gio has never been able to form a bond with a woman or keep her around because all he cares about is himself. Don't worry about those things he said. I would never do anything to hurt you. All I want to do is protect you from niggas like him. He's nothing like me and I'd kill that nigga before I let him trick you into leaving me for him.... I promise I'm all for you. Okay?"

"Okay Josiah, I trust you."