Fifty-Four

Once again the cries of Josiah's toddler, Jaxson, wakes him and Diana up as they are asleep in their bed, his arms wrapped around her waist as she snuggles up to him

"It's your turn babe." Diana groans, softly shaking him.

"Damn again?" He sighs loudly as he gets up from the bed and rubs his eyes.

"Yeap."

After stretching his arms, Josiah goes into the kitchen and fills up a sippy cup with warm milk then walks into Jaxson's room and picks him up. He helps Jaxson use the potty then sits down in the rocking chair and rocks his small son while giving him the milk. Jaxson whines and fiddles with Josiah's fingers, fighting his sleep by kicking his little legs in the air.

"Daddy is tired. Please go to sleep son." Josiah sighs loudly as he continues rocking him.

After about 15 minutes, Josiah finally puts Jaxson to sleep then puts him back into his crib; swaddling him then turning on the white noise machine. Walking into the kitchen, he fixes himself a glass of beer and chugs it quickly; going back to bed with Diana.

"Have you been drinking?...again?" She asks as he breathes his hot breath down her neck.

"It was only a glass of beer. Not my usual hard liquor."

"Josiah, you were an alcoholic before Jaxson was born and you can't fall back into your old ways. Our son needs you and you can't be a good father if you're a drunk."

"Diana, I don't need you telling me how to live my life. You haven't been a saint all your life so save the speeches. It was one fucking glass of beer. DAMN!! I can't do shit 'round this motherfucker without you breathing down my goddamn neck and watching my every move!!" He yells loudly, causing Jaxson to wake back up.

"See what you did Jo!! You woke the fucking baby!!" Diana yells back and gets up to get him.

This has been Josiah's life for these past years. He was once such a sloppy drunk that he couldn't function without a glass of liquor. He only opened his eyes to his problem when he was supposed to be watching Jaxson and fell asleep. Jaxson didn't eat for hours until Diana came home from work and found him screaming and crying. After that, she forced Josiah to get help or either he'd lose them. Josiah didn't too much care about losing Diana but he couldn't let her take his child. He's the only person that Josiah has to live for.

Getting up from the bed, Josiah goes back into the kitchen and paces the floor; trying to decide if he wants to drink another beer or not. Just as he's about to pour up a glass, his phone rings and it's Elijah.

"Wassup?" Josiah answers, wondering why his cousin is calling so late at night.

"M-man, I-I fucked up." He sobs loudly.