Seventeen

"Hell naw Bailey, I'm not finna let that nigga keep disrespecting you! Carmichael need his ass whooped for the way he keep being racist and getting yo brother name wrong

"Hell naw Bailey, I'm not finna let that nigga keep disrespecting you! Carmichael need his ass whooped for the way he keep being racist and getting yo brother name wrong. That shit unacceptable. I'm about to fuck his ugly ass up!! I'm done being cool bout the shit!! I let it slide at the police department but now I'm finna stomp his stupid ass!" Josiah yells running towards the detective who is near multiple police officers.

When they hear Josiah yelling, all of the officers who are mostly white rest their hands on their guns while Carmichael aims his at Josiah's forehead. Running over to him, Bailey quickly grabs Josiah and stands on her tip toes to place his forehead onto hers, looking into his eyes while holding his face.

"Don't shoot!" She says, turning towards the officers then back at Josiah.

"Josiah, please listen to me before you go crazy. You and I both know what happens to black men when they get loud and aggressive with the police. White cops are shooting unarmed black men left and right, you think your black ass is an exception? You know your grandma needs you and so do I. I promise, I am okay! You do not have to teach him a lesson because God will give him the ultimate lesson. Thank you for trying to protect me but right now, protect yourself! Please, just calm down... look at me!....Josiah, I said look at me...I'm okay, you're okay. Lets get my brother's stuff and go." Bailey begs him, keeping his eyes locked with hers.

Closing his eyes, Josiah takes multiple deep breathes before opening them again and pulling Bailey into his chest. "Thank you." He whispers into her ear.

"You're welcome, now come on so we can hurry and get out of here."

The officers keep their hands on their guns even though Carmichael has lowered his. As they're walking past him, he looks Josiah in the eyes and smirks, "almost had a bullet in your brain, boy."

"Remember what I said." Bailey whispers to Josiah who has stopped in his tracks to give Carmichael the death glare.

He just nods his heads while intertwining his longer fingers with Bailey's as they finally make it into the apartment. Her mouth drops at the destroyed apartment that was so neat and put together earlier. The old grey couch was flipped over with the bottom cut out of it, cotton all over the floor. There were broken vases and picture frames scattered on the floor, piles of glass resting near. The 50 inch flat screen tv has a gaping hole through the middle and the wires stick out of the cord.

"Damn." Josiah says lowly.

"Yeah, It's terrible. I hope they catch whoever did this." Bailey says walking over to an ugly, bald man with a pot belly. "Are you the landlord?"

"Yes ma'am, I am. I was told that you are Jerrico's sister so I'm sure you're wondering what happened..I'll go ahead and give you the run down. Lately, there has been multiple break ins so we set up a watch program. One of the watchmen who also lives in this building heard the door being kicked in and glass breaking then called 911 and me. By the time I got over here, the culprit was gone and the place was trashed. I'm sorry about your brother, kid. He was a good one."

"Thank you, can you ask the officers to give me a minute?" Bailey smiles softly, referring to the officers who are "looking around" when actually they're just causing more damage.

"Alright officers, this is my property and I want it cleared! Give this young lady a minute to freely gather her brother's things!" The landlord says, getting the officers attention and making them leave.

"She has 30 minutes so she better move quickly." Carmichael scoffs, walking through glass on his way out.

"Okay Bailey, just tell me what you want and I'll put it in that big box over there." Josiah says, jogging to get the box and returning.

"I want all pictures of my brother, no matter who else is in the photo with him. I also want his favorite red, plaid blanket and matching pillow from over there. If you see anything else that looks like it might mean something to me, just grab it... I'm going to get things from his room." Bailey says, grabbing another empty box.

Once inside Jerrico's room, she gasps at how different it looks. She's not used to seeing such a dirty environment when it comes to her brother. If he didn't do anything else here, he always kept it clean and smelling nice. Taking a few deep breaths, Bailey starts grabbing some of his t-shirts, hoodies, joggers, and even his favorite cologne. She also makes sure to grab his gold "JM" initial necklace that he almost never took off, lifting her hair and putting it on her neck; trying not to burst out in tears.

Turning around, she sees the shiny, brown dresser with the drawers taken out of them so she picks up each one, making sure there's nothing in them that she wants. Just as she's about to put down the third drawer, she sees a tan string poking out from one of the corners and pulls it, finding a note in the collapsible bottom of the drawer. Although she desperately wants to read the note, she has no time because she hears someone's footsteps approaching her so he stuffs it into her pocket.

"Bailey, I got everything. You need any help in here?" Josiah asks and she calms down, glad that it's him and not an officer.

"No, I'm okay... lets go." She says, looking around one last time.

Once Bailey and Josiah carry the boxes back to the car, they leave and head back to Josiah's house.

"Thank you Josiah, you've been here for me and I really appreciate it. I never thought we'd be like this with each other. I wanted nothing to do with you but I'm glad you changed my mind."

"You're welcome, Bailey. You know I gotcha."

The rest of the car ride is silent until Bailey's phone continues to ring and it's her job. With all the stuff going on, she forgot all about that place. Deciding it could wait, she declines the call and silences her phone.

"Here's the key. You can open the door and I'll carry the boxes." Josiah tells Bailey as they get out at his place.

While he carries the boxes inside and sits them down, she changes clothes in the bathroom; getting more comfortable. After making sure Josiah isn't coming, she stashes the note in the small nightstand drawer that's beside the bed, on the side that she sleeps.

"I'm tired as hell, Bailey." Josiah says as he plops down on the bed, taking his clothes off and wrapping his arm around her waist.

"Me too." She lies and fakes a yawn.

Moments later Josiah is snoring lightly in her ear. She slowly moves his arm off her and he turns over after making random noises. Bailey allows him to fall back into his deep sleep before using her phone light to grab the note and read it.

"My sweet little sister, I know no one will be able to find this but you because you've always been very observant. If you have found this, it means I am dead and I'm so sorry I left you but I need to tell you some things. I've been involved with drugs and I've stolen from a very dangerous man because I needed the money to take care of my unborn child... I've already sold the drugs and stashed all the money somewhere but you're smart and I know you'll find it. Just think about the places where I used to hide my porn magazines from pops...Bailey, when you find the money please take care of Kim, my kid, and yourself. The person who I stole from won't stop looking for his money so please disappear once you find it. That's all you need to know for now. Once you find the money, you'll find a notebook explaining everything in more detail. Be safe, Denise and don't get caught with that money or you'll end up like me. I love you, always and forever."

Tears pool at the bottom of Bailey's eyes and finally release themselves as she finishes the note. She rubs her brother's necklace and processes the information, realizing that she's gotta find that money before the police or anyone else does.