Chapter 59

(What Time Do You Call This? By Elbow)

What time do you call this?
I've been craning, bewildered all my days
To now find your face
Shining out of the crowd
Love was just a word
That friends didn't mention
'Cause love was just a joke
'Til it battered me senseless
Oh, shrink with me, tower with me
Wither with me, flower with me
Endlessly follow me
Chew me up and swallow me

-
Vic's POV

Today was finally the day that I'd get to see him. I called him earlier today and just the sound of his voice was enough to ease all the anxiety I had been feeling all week. I've been waiting a few hours for visiting time to roll around and though it felt like it'd never end, finally, Max's mom came into my room.

"He's here! Are you ready?" She asked, smiling warmly at me.

"Yes, yes, definitely ready! How do I look?" I asked, a little self conscious. I felt horrible, I bet I looked just as bad too. I've been going through detox, how could I not?

"You look great. Come on, don't wanna keep him waiting." She smiled, waking out the door.

I took a deep breath before following her and kept my eyes down as we walked through the many halls of the cold building. She was waking a lot faster than I'd like. I was still way too tired out from how rough my withdrawals were and I was also way too nervous to walk any quicker. What if he sees me and realizes he doesn't really want to be here? What if he only came here to tell me this is too much to deal with?

In the back of my mind I knew none of that could be true. Still, my negative thoughts screamed loudly that it would all go wrong.

Finally, after what seemed like forever, Roxanne opened the door to the visiting room and stepped aside, letting me go in first.

I didn't have to scan the room for his face, this room was small, for private visitations. My stomach felt tense when I walked in and then our eyes met. The corners of his green eyes turned up as he smiled at me, and just like that, all my nerves went away. I grinned, hurrying over to the table and immediately going in for a hug as he stood up.

"Max!" I chirped, happily. His arms wrapped around me tightly, he laughed into my neck and we held each other.

"I missed you so much, V." He whispered against my neck. I closed my eyes, taking in his scent. I couldn't explain the feeling I got, seeing him. It was like my body was filled with warmth and I felt like everything would be okay again. I didn't want to stop holding him. I didn't want him to let go of me.

"I missed you too." I whispered back, keeping him close. He pulled away just enough to look at my face, but still hold me in place. His eyes were so pretty. I almost forgot. Just looking at him as he held me, with adoration in his eyes...I wanted to kiss him. I wanted him to kiss me. But the second the thought entered my mind, I realized it was wrong of me to think about. I pulled away from him completely and cleared my throat, sitting down.

"Uh, sit, let's catch up," I watched as he awkwardly nodded and sat down across from me. His cheeks were tinged red. I couldn't help the smile that rose to my lips. Butterflies swarmed around in my tummy and I looked down at the table, shaking my head. Vic, whats wrong with you? "How've you been? Have I missed anything important?"

"Uh, no, not really." Max laughed. The moment of awkwardness had started to dissipate and I was thankful for it. "I've really only been sitting at home, smoking, thinking about you."