Chapter 46

(Count Bassy by Dance Gavin Dance)

So you don't believe in magic
I'm never falling from these habits
No
Who's ever really static
Just take my honor, you can have it
Don't get all sentimental about it, oh no
The sun comes up, the rain comes down
There ain't nothing you can do to change it
Don't get all sentimental about it, oh no
Life's not fair
Empathy is overrated

-
(Important authors note at end! Please read all!")
Vic's POV

I wanted to pretend like this was all no big deal, but my leg left my vulnerability exposed when it began to bounce beneath the table. We were sat in a Wendy's. That way we could all eat if it got too awkward. I was beyond anxious. Mike Lawson. My brother.

What would he be like? Would he be someone I could get along with? Someone who has nothing in common with me? Someone who can become a part of my life? Someone who'll leave just as fast as he came in?

There were about a million doubts running through my mind, but more than that, there was a hopeful curiosity that kept me going. And even more than that, there was a supportive and loving boy sat by my side to face this with me.

"What if he doesn't show up?" I ask, nervously.

"He'll show up, baby. It's only been 10 minutes, relax." Kellin soothed. He placed his hand on the leg that bounced steadily. I stopped my bouncing as he rubbed his hand up and down my thigh lovingly. I looked up at him, his eyes crinkled at the sides as he smiled at me. I still couldn't believe he was all mine now. I was convinced I'd always feel that way.

"Thank you. Seriously...I don't know how I'd do this without you. I've been an only child my whole life and I just-I don't know how this is going to turn out. What if it's awkward? Oh god, he'll probably think I'm so boring." I rambled.

"You? Boring? Vic, you're the least boring person I've ever met." Kellin laughed. "Don't worry, you'll find something to talk about. If not, I'll be here to break the ice with my dumb ass self."

"Hmm...I guess you are a bit of a dumb ass." I hummed sarcastically. Kellin scoffed, looking offended. "What? You said it yourself."

"You're not supposed to agree! When did you get so mean?" Kellin pouted.

"When did you get so sensitive? It's a joke, Kell, I love you." I laughed, amused.

"I can't help it, you made me this way. I think our personalities have switched. We should break up." Kellin sighed.

I knew he was joking, or at least I hoped he was, but I couldn't help but notice my heart stop for just a second anyway. "I'm anxious enough as it is, don't joke about that right now." I frowned.

"Aw, I'm sorry." Kellin cooed. "I love you, baby." He gently pulled my head towards him so he could kiss my forehead. I smiled, my eyes closed as I remained close to him. He was such a good distraction. Perfect. There was no way I couldn't feel better with him around.

"I could have stood here and watched you two cause you're so damn cute-" I looked up, my attention caught on the man in front of me. Mike. I stood up from my seat. "But I figure I shouldn't since I've made you wait a while."

Mike shot me a smile. I smiled back at him, a little shy and couldn't stop myself from being a dork.

"Wow, you're tall. Must be nice." I laughed.

The boys laughed with me and we all greeted each other, soon ordering our food and sitting down to talk. Nothing was awkward like I thought it might be. I found I actually had a lot in common with Mike and even better than that? He got along great with Kellin, and I could really get used to the thought of all of us hanging out like this. I could use getting out of the house more often now that things at home are tense.