Chapter 28

(Rubik's Cube by Athlete)

Lost in the playground
Late night nostalgia
Open the sky for me now

Friends round the fire
Outside in December
Open the sky for me now

Oh I'm like a kid who just won't let it go
Twisting and turning the colors in rows
I'm so intent to find out what it is
This is my Rubik's cube
I know I will figure it out

-
Vic's POV

I was standing outside of Dani's house, a bouquet of sunflowers in my hand. She thought I was coming over 'cause I needed help with studying. But today was the day I would ask her to be my girlfriend.

I gotta say, as confident as I looked on the outside, I was more than freaking out on the inside. There was a huge chunk of me that didn't want to do this, but the bigger chunk, the one that wanted to be straight, that chunk was telling me this was the right thing to do.

So I knocked on the door, softly, but loud enough to be heard. I waited with a bubble of anxiety formed around me.

Slowly, the door was opened. Dani greeted me with a smile, her eyes dropping to the flowers in my hand.

"Oh my god, I love sunflowers!" She squealed. I laughed at her, she's adorable. I handed them to her.

"They're for you, darling." I spoke. Her eyes lit up and she engulfed me in a hug.

I pulled away and with as much confidence as I could muster up, I asked the dreaded question.

"Listen...um, so, I really, really like you. And I just can't stand only being your friend. So, will you be my girlfriend?" I asked. I looked at her as she put a hand over her mouth. She engulfed me in another hug.

"You don't know how long I've been waiting for you to say that. Of course I'll be your girlfriend. I really like you too." Dani spoke. You could literally hear the excitement in her voice. She pulled away and dragged me into the house. We went upstairs and she was practically skipping the whole way there.

She sat on her bed and stretched her arms towards me, making grabby hands. I smiled at her and walked into her arms, she wrapped them around my back and looked up at me. She really was beautiful. I just wish I could get myself to have feelings for her. In time, Vic. That's all I have to keep telling myself.

I held her face in my hands and smiled down at her, leaning down to place a kiss on her lips. It was slow, I was doing what I would do if it was Kellin who had said yes. I was acting the way I should.

She pulled away. "Hey...so, I heard you punched someone the other day. What happened?" She looked worried as she waited for an answer. I sighed and sat down next to her. She laid her head against my shoulder.

"This kid just- he wouldn't stop...he's bisexual and he had a crush on me and I turned him down many times but he kept pushing it and then he kissed me and- well I just got so mad." I said, lying again. If I kept this up, lying would soon be as easy as eating for me.

"Oh. Well, I see where you'd be annoyed, I mean you told him you weren't interested but he wouldn't accept it. I think it's fair to be mad at him but I also think punching him was uncalled for. Maybe you should apologize? You don't have to; it's your life. But he likes you, no one deserves to get hit in the face for liking someone." Dani spoke. That was one thing I loved about her. She was so nice, she's knew how to handle things, unlike me, always lying and now, resorting to violence.

I really was losing myself lately.

"I think I might. Thanks for the input." I mumbled. She lifted her head up off my shoulder and pulled me close to her, she trailed her lips along my neck in soft kisses. I was uncomfortable. I said nothing. She let her hand slip underneath my shirt to touch my chest. This wasn't unexpected, we'd touched each other like this before, I always hated it but i figured maybe soon I'd start to like it. I took a deep breath and remembered not to be stiff. I held her hips and pulled her close enough so that she was sitting on me, straddling my lap.