Chapter 36

(Almost loved by Alison Sudol)

We walked along a crowded street
You took my hand and danced with me
Images
And when you left, you kissed my lips
You told me you would never, never forget
These images
Well, I'd never want to see you unhappy
I thought you'd want the same for me

-
Vic's POV

It was Friday. This week had been hell. All I thought about was shooting up. On top of that, Dani wanted to have sex again. I had avoided it successfully for this week but who knows how long I could keep it up. Once again, Kellin's been ignoring me. He always disappeared and I was tired of it. Currently I was with Max at my house. I've definitely started to develop some feelings for him. They weren't too strong yet, but they were there.

I had my head on Max's shoulder as we watched Black Mirror. It was all so great. I felt happy around him. He helped me forget about everything.

"Hey Max?" I asked. Max hummed. "If I...If I break up with Dani, will you take me on a date?"

Max turned to me, looking at me with an unsure face as if he had just heard me wrong. "God, you make it so tempting. But that's the problem. You can't just break up with her because you want to date me, you have to break up with her because you're not straight. You have to break up with her because you're done lying to her. You have to do this for yourself, Vic. Not for me."

I frowned. He was right. Man, I hated when he was right. I was going to say something but there was a knock on the door. I got up to answer the door. I really hoped it wasn't Dani. To my pleasant surprise, it wasn't her. But instead, Kellin. I blushed nervously as I looked at him. He had a sorry look on his face.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, getting straight to the point.

"Look, I know I've been ignoring you but I need to tell you something. Can I come in?" Kellin asked.

"I have company over. I'm busy." I spoke. I had to admit, I was bothered. He always ghosted me and then came back like nothing was wrong. I was tired of it.

"Please? It's important and I don't think I'll have the guts to say it if I leave it for another time."

I sighed heavily. I nodded and stepped aside to let him in. I closed the door behind me and watched as Max stood up and came over to us.

"I'm sorry, Max. This'll be quick. He needs to talk to me." I spoke. I suddenly became nervous with both of them in the same room. They still hadn't met and I had recently told Max all about who Kellin was in my life.

"This is Max?" Kellin asked. I nodded my head. Kellin eyed him up and down and stuck a hand out for him to shake. Max shook his hand. "I'm Kellin."

In an instant, Max's face turned to one of jealousy and distaste.

"Nice to meet you." Max said confidently. The air felt tense as the room fell silent.

"Um, we're gonna go talk in the kitchen. I'll be back, okay?" I spoke to Max. Max nodded and took a seat back on the couch. Kellin followed me to the isolated kitchen.

"What do you want?" I demanded. I crossed my arms and kept my eyes away from him.

"So that's the guy you've been smoking with? Skipping school with? He's a bad influence on you-"

"Is that what you came to talk about?" I interrupted.

"No, but-"

"Then shut up." I snapped. "Say what you came here for."