Chapter 32

(The taste of ink by The Used)

I'm tired and I felt it for awhile now

In this sea of lonely
The taste of ink is getting old
It's four o' clock in the fucking morning

Each day gets more and more like the last day
Still I can see it coming
While I'm standing in the river drowning

This could be my chance to break out
This could be my chance to say goodbye
At last it's finally over

Couldn't take this town much longer
Being half dead wasn't what I planned to be
Now I'm ready to be free

So here I am it's in my hands
And I'll savor every moment of this

So here I am alive at last
And I'll savor every moment of this

-
Vic's POV (trigger warning)

Being with Kellin yesterday was...incredible. I was happier than words could explain. He was...different. He was actually showing interest in me. He had already been texting me all morning throughout church, he was even being flirty, which was really unlike him. I didn't know what to think, it was all so weird but all so amazing at the same time. I couldn't help but to feel guilty though. Here I was, sitting next to Dani and my parents in church, while flirting with a boy over text. I was disgusting.

I locked my phone, deciding I should at least pay some attention. I felt Dani's small hand tap my knee. I smiled, knowing she wanted to hold my hand so I let her slip her fingers in between mine. I looked forward, listening to Pastor Joseph continue his sermon. I felt eyes on me though, so I turned my head, Dani blushed, looking away timidly.

"You okay, little cherry?" I asked. She snuggled close to me, resting her head on my shoulder.

"Just admiring you, dummy." She whispered. "You're going to hate me but I'm bored."

"It's okay, I'm pretty bored too. I haven't been to church in years. We can do something after. You have any ideas?" I whispered back.

"Hmm. Anything with you will be fun. I've never just hung out with guys before, if I'm being honest. You're my first serious relationship and, well, we could lay in the street for all I care and I bet I'll have the time of my life." Dani laughed. My mom glanced at us, smiling happily.

"I'm not special." I frowned.

"Don't say that." She lifted her head up from my shoulder and looked at me with a scowl. "You're one of the best people I've ever known. One of the most genuine. You're my best friend, and...I-I think I love you."

My heart dropped. I snapped my head towards her. Her face was red, she looked so scared. I felt her grip on my hand tighten. I didn't say anything. I couldn't. My heart was broken, I hated myself so fucking much. I wasn't genuine, I was lying to her fucking face this whole time. I'm a shit person. I made her fall in love with me knowing I'd never feel that way for her. I didn't deserve to be alive.

"I-I'm sorry, that was stupid to say. I'm, uh, I'm just gonna go home. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Dani spoke. She stood up, leaving in a hurry. A few heads turned to look at her, even the Pastor watched as she went, but he kept on with his sermon. My mom and dad looked at me confused. I sighed, quickly standing up and running out and after her.

I ran out to the front of the church. She was sitting at the bottom of the steps. I could hear her sniffle. I sighed, walking down the steps until I made it to her, she stood up, trying to leave again, but I grabbed her hand, I pulled her to my chest. She hid her face from me.