Chapter Four

(A poem by j.a. )
I don't know when
Or how
You crept slowly
In to my life

All I know
Is you are everywhere
In every hour of my day
In a second or two
A thought of you

And I seem to get lost
So easily in your smile
Or within a small memory
Of how your voice sounds like
When you are happy

I don't know how
Or why
But I miss you
I miss you all of the time

-
Vic's POV

Sweat. There was so much sweat falling into my eyes. Kellin and I were racing each other down the block and he was pretty much winning.

My breaths were heavy and I stopped running. This had been our sixth lap. We were competitive, that's for sure. He had won four times, I only did twice, and I was trying to beat him in this last one but I just couldn't do it.

So, with a heavy breath, I sat down on the street and watched as Kellin ran to the end of the block. He let out a scream of victory when he got to the end and then ran back to me.

"Oh man...my lungs are on fire!" Kellin huffed, sitting down with me. I smiled at him and nodded my head, agreeing.

"It's official. Long legs carry people to victory." I sighed.

"Hey, you did pretty good! You beat me twice." Kellin spoke, coming close to me. He always got close to me. I loved it. It made me feel...extra happy.

"It was two lucky rounds." I insisted. I threw myself back and laid on the warm blacktop of the road. Kellin looked down at me and then laid down too, but put his head on my belly and faced me.

"I like you better than Audrey." Kellin whispered with a smile.

"I like you better than Cara." I laughed, I felt a warm tug in my chest I hadn't felt before, but I ignored it and decided I liked it.

"Boys, get in the house! It's late!" I heard my mama yell. Kellin and I shot up and ran to my house. It was pretty late, the street lights had turned on a few hours ago and we were still out there.

"I made dinner an hour ago and I thought you boys heard me, now I come downstairs to find you're both still outside!" My mama complains.

"I'm sorry, we got caught up in the racing." I said, making my way to the kitchen.

"And then I find you laying in the street. You could get run over! I don't want you two doing that again. You're lucky I don't tell your mom, Kellin."

Kellins eyes widened and he shook his head. "I'm sorry, it won't happen again."

My mama looked at him and sighed, letting a smile slip it's way through. "It's okay, mijo. Eat up before you go to bed. If you're staying up, don't be too loud, okay you two?"

Kellin and I nodded, sitting at the table. She went up the stairs and left us to eat alone.

"So, I'm thinking about breaking up with Cara." I said. We had been dating for a week. I didn't really like her. She was pretty and she was nice but I just didn't like her.

"Why? She likes you." Kellin spoke, confused.

"I don't think I like her. She's not fun. Not like you. I want someone fun." I shrugged, thinking that was it. It was the only logical explanation as to why I didn't like her but I liked being with Kellin better. Its because he was fun and she wasnt.

Kellin stopped eating and looked at me.

"I think I'll break up with Audrey too." He said.

"Why? I thought you liked her."

"Not like you though, and I need to find a girl who I like as much as you." He shrugged.

It made sense, to me. My eleven year old self was sure that that's how relationships worked. If you don't like her as much as your best friend, you shouldn't be with them. You're supposed to be happiest with your partner and I'm only happiest when I'm with Kellin.

Clearly, she's not the one.

-

"Vic, come here."

"What?" I asked. I was already right next to him on my bed. We were watching The Peanuts on TV.

"Just come here." He rolled his eyes. I moved even closer to him and he soon had his arms strapped around me, his head on my shoulder. "It's cold in here."

"Oh. But there's a blanket right there." I said.

"You're better." He shrugged, looking at the screen. I had grown used to the clingyness that Kellin always gave to me but when it first started, it was weird to me. I liked it now though, I was getting used to it so much that I started getting clingy with him too and now it was just our thing.

"Aw, man, he's never gonna kick it." Kellin muttered.

"I know. It's the girls fault."

"Girls are mean."

"Boys shouldn't like girls." I nodded.

But I guess I took that a little too literally.

A/N: Tell me what ya think of the story! Tell your friends to read this! Share it! This story will get spicy af when they're older, trust me.