Chapter 29

(Starving for friends by Slaves)

You were the only
You were the only saving grace I ever had
You were the only
You were the only saving grace I ever had

You poison me
I'm burning colors, I can see the change
I can tell the bitter taste
I'm two-faced and I can't see straight
But don't pretend to run away
I know you hear me

Just another kid that can't let it go
Just another story for the books
How did I fall off track?
How did I let you turn your back on me?
Back on me

Don't make me wait for a falling star
I've been afraid that the blood in my heart
Won't sing for me a melody that's ours
Drown me in the rain, I'd swim and sink for you

-
Vic's POV

"No, no, stay the fuck away from me!"

I sped up, trying to catch up to Jenna. She was livid. This was the first time I was seeing her since everything with Alan went down. I knew she heard about it, I knew the entire GSA probably hated me.

I latched onto her arm and she spun around, tearing her arm away from me.

"Do you have any idea what you did?" She spat. Her eyes were red, but she wasn't crying. Suddenly, everything I wanted to say was lost from my mind, I couldn't speak.

"Just because you're going through some- some stupid, existential crisis in your head, you don't have to fucking shit on everyone else. Alan really liked you. He was there for you! He knew that you were exploring your sexuality with women and with him and he supported you! And-and then you somehow decide that-that being gay is...is a sin? You've basically announced to the world and all your fucking friends that you don't think they're valid. You think we're all disgusting-"

"I never said you we-"

"You hate yourself for being gay! That means you hate us! All of us! You hate me...you were my best friend and I-I don't even know you anymore."

"Jenna-"

"No. Please. Please, I don't want to hear it. I don't want to hear whatever pathetic explanation you were about to come up with. You hate yourself? Fine. You don't like being gay? Fine. But don't you ever fucking bring that out on any of us and don't you ever touch Alan again. When you're done being a piece of shit...I'm not gonna be here. Have fun lying to yourself and lying to your girlfriend."

Like that, she stormed off. I couldn't breathe. I was in shock, I don't know what I expected but I didn't expect to lose my best friend. I was getting dizzy, I heard the bell ring as everyone in the halls hurried to their classrooms. I did what I always did. I ran from my problems. I ran out of school and out to the field, I pulled at my hair angrily, feeling my heartbeat start to increase in speed. My chest felt heavy and for a moment, I forgot I was even at school.

"Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.." I mumbled. I paced in a circle, trying my hardest to stop the world from spinning, to stop my heart from beating so fast. My thoughts were jumping from one to another. I just wanted it to stop.

I felt a heavy hand come down on my shoulder. I spun around, freaking out even more. I looked at Max.

"Hey, Hey, it's okay. You're okay, Vic." Max soothed. Concern was written all over his face, his green eyes peered down at me and he took one of my hands in his.

"You feel that? That's my hand, look at my hand." Max spoke.

I looked at his hand, I listened to his voice. I squeezed his hand.

"Take a deep breath in slowly...and let it out."
I nodded, holding his one hand with both of mine and breathing as he told me. I could feel my heart rate slow down, and my head clear. I looked up at him, at his crooked smile and his green eyes. Everything was forgotten about as he breathed with me. He tucked some of my hair behind my ear and smiled at me warily.

"See? You're okay. Now, I'm not even going to ask you about what happened. Don't think about that, okay? Just come with me, we can chill under the bleachers, smoke a little, or not, we can do whatever your little heart desires." Max smiled. He looked down at our hands and I realized I hadn't let go yet. My face went red.

"S-Sorry." I finally spoke. He chuckled and that's when I noticed he wasn't high. For the first time since I'd met him, he looked completely sober.

"It's okay. I don't mind it. Bleachers?" He asked. I nodded. We walked in silence, there were the usual people that were always here, but Alex and Jeremy weren't here this time. I took my usual spot on the tire next to Max and he pulled out a little baggy filled with weed. He also pulled out a pipe. I watched him as he packed the bowl and pulled out his lighter.

"Hey, thank you...for like, helping me and stuff." I mumbled. Max smiled at me and took a hit from the green pipe in his hands. I watched him as he inhaled and then let it all out. He passed it to me. I held the pipe in my hands and instead of passing me the lighter, Max held the flame over the bowl for me. I inhaled slowly, and coughed as I let it out. He laughed at me.

"You're cute. You wanna skip school and come to my house?" Max asked. "I've got snacks there, we'll be pretty hungry soon."

I nodded. "Yea, why not?" I grinned. I really liked hanging out with him. And today was definitely not the day for me to be in school.

With everything I had going on right now, I could care less about school. I hadn't even seen Kellin or anyone this morning besides Jenna. I was thankful for having Max with me during this; he didn't ask about it, he just helped keep me distracted.

And that's all I needed right now.

A/N: IM SORRY I TOOK LIKE SIX YEARS TO UPDATE BUT HERE IT IS
IM ABOUT TO START ON THE NEXT CHAP
WHAT DO Y'ALL THINK ABOUT MAX BTW?

-Kim