Chapter 37

(Sober by Tool)

I am just a worthless liar.
I am just an imbecile.
I will only complicate you.
Trust in me and fall as well.
I will find a center in you.
I will chew it up and leave,
I will work to elevate you
Just enough to bring you down.

Mother Mary won't you whisper
Something but the past is done?
Mother Mary won't you whisper
Something but the past is done?

Why can't we not be sober?
Just want to start this over.
Why can't we sleep forever?
I just want to start this over.

-
Vic's POV

I was sat at the table in the kitchen. My mama was making me breakfast while my papa came down the stairs. Kellin had left a couple of hours before everyone was awake.

My mama set my plate in front of me and left the kitchen after placing a kiss on my forehead. I heard heavy work boots enter the kitchen and smiled up at my papa. He looked at me and gave me a nod. He poured himself some coffee and sat down with me. I ate in silence until he spoke.

"How you feeling today, mijo?" He asked. I instantly grinned, automatically thinking to last night. All night. I felt my face go hot as I answered.

"I'm great. Really, really happy." I spoke. My papa gave me a small smile.

"Anything new going on in your life? Anything you want to tell your old man?" Papa asked, hitting my shoulder gently. I chewed my food and shook my head. There was definitely nothing I'd tell him.

"No, same old stuff as always." I said, shrugging.

"You know you can tell me anything, right?" He asked. I looked up to his kind, crinkled eyes. I merely nodded and swallowed the last of my food. I stood up with my now empty plate and put it in the sink.

"I'm gonna go hang out with my friend Max, okay? I'll text you when I'm heading home." I smiled.

My papa stood up and followed me to the door. "Okay, con cuidado, y-"

"And don't stay out too late, ya se. Adiós papá." I made my way out the door and started my walk to Max's place. I was so excited to see him. I had something I wanted to do and I knew he'd keep me from backing out of it.

I walked as fast as my short legs would take me, hoping that the confidence and determination I had right now, wouldn't slip away before I could tell him. I knocked on the door to Max's house once I was there.

"Vic! Hey, sweetie, come in." Frank greeted. "Our Max is in his room, I think he might still be asleep. I don't know what made him think he could wake up so early." Frank laughed.

"I told him we could hang out later but he insisted on 8, said it'd be better so we could hang out for longer." I shrugged.

"He should listen to you more often." Frank sighed.

I made my way up the stairs, a bit of dance in my step as I hummed along to the song in my head. Everything was great, now I just had to tell him about my plan for today.

I stopped outside his bedroom door. Okay, Vic, it's now or never. I opened the door, anxious to tell him. I looked over at him and smiled at his sleeping figure. I shut the door quietly and sat down on the bed at his feet.

"Max, wake up. I need you to give me an inspirational speech so I can break up with Dani." I laughed. I shook his shoulder a little. I laughed and rolled my eyes at how much of a heavy sleeper he was. "Jesus, Max, you lazy fuck."