Chapter 27: Commiting a Taboo

"Why are we moving so slow?" Hikari was the one who posed the question as he watched everyone silently continue to look on ahead.

Mary Jane is a magnificent ship. Able to effortlessly carry the 100+ pirates and still have a lot of other rooms created for seperate reasons. As big as it was it was still a very fast ship. They could still travel large areas faster than normal. But now it was purposely moving slower than normal.

They were still a few hundred metres away from the shore of Aries Island but they didn't have the fighting spirit that they initially had. Both parties seemed to be waiting for the other party to make the first move in the game.

"You're overthinking it, Cabin Boy." Kaizoku said as he walked over to the mast of the ship and slapped Hikari on the shoulder. It was a bit firm at that.

"As I have stated before, we're going to win." He tried to reassure the worrying Cabin Boy.

"Am I... Even going to fight?" Hikari asked as he followed after his captain. Pyro, his familiar, had launched itself and was now sitting on his shoulder. It was such a normal occurrence that he barely took notice of it.

"No, Cabin Boy." Kaizoku answered. "Cortez and his crew is really strong. You need to observe in this fight."

"Am I fighting, Daddy?" Eva popped up next to her captain and posed the question. The sparkles in her eyes showed that she was really eager to join in on the fight. She was even drooling a little.

"I'm still thinking about your situation." Kaizoku crossed his arms. "I'm still mad that you went on your own and got attacked by the Heathen Pirates."

Gulp.

Eva was the one who made the audible gulp as she wiped away the sweat that had gathered at her forehead. She had completely forgotten about that encounter.

Sliding past Kaizoku she gave an awkward smile and started skipping all the way to her room. Hikari rolled his eyes at the encounter and turned back to Kaizoku but widened his eyes in surprise.

Kaizoku had dropped to the ground with his hands on the floor. A cloud of despair hung around his body as he stayed in that position.

"C-captain?" Hikari asked.

Kaizoku turned his head to Hikari with tear stricken eyes. Despair plastered on his face.

"Being a strict father is the hardest thing in the world... Please don't hate me, Eva..."

But you barely did anything strict!

All the surrounding crew members shared this thought as they watched their captain sulk about being a terrible father.

Hikari facepalmed himself.

"What an idiot." Hearing an unfamiliar voice, Hikari turned his head towards the main mast of the ship to look at the source.

It was a Lycra who was strapped to the main mast with rope. From the looks of it, Hikari could tell that it wasn't any ordinary rope. It must be preventing him from using any skills.

"That's Gemini." Kaizoku answered after seemingly recovered from the overreaction earlier. "I think he's the same age as you."

"Tch. Don't compare to that human crap. He probably just sees me as scum. Shithead." Gemini said and then gave an intense glare towards Hikari that made him flinch.

Where is all that hatred coming from? Hikari wondered as he looked at the Lycra boy.

Before he said anything, Kaizoku made an audible sigh then snapped his fingers. "Alavara. Could you please be a dear?" He asked in the most polite tone ever.

Alavara got out of her seat and walked towards the main mast. She cracked her knuckles while walking.

"Ay, ay Cap." When she arrived in front of Gemini she laughed. "And to think you just woke up. You must be a masochist for stuff like this!"

"Shut up, you bimbo."

Phew!

When those words left Gemini's mouth everything went incredibly silent. No one on the ship dared to move at all. All that could be heard was the wind.

Kaizoku took off his hat and brought it to his chest. It was traditional for such an action to be done at a funeral.

All the other members on board did the same while giving sorrowful looks to Gemini. Hikari, who didn't understand much, immediately knew that Gemini had just crossed one of the most sacred taboos. He gave an apologetic look towards him as well.

"Tch. What is it?" In an oblivious manner, Gemini still glared at everyone like he wasn't aware of what he had just done. He looked over at their captain to find out what was going on. Kaizoku gestured with his eyes for Gemini to look left and when he did all the colour drained from his face.

The look Alavara gave him made him certain of one thing:

He was going to die now.

Not even saying a word, Alavara cranked up her fist and pulled it back with so much force that the wind almost completely changed direction.

Boom!

Then released it on Gemini's left cheek.

*

"What are you doing, Cap?" Calico posed the question.

Cortez was standing straight up with his hat against his chest. His expression as cruel as always but his eyes looked sorrowful. Calico seemed to be unaware of the gesture and decided to ask.

"Calico, mate." Cortez started. "It would seem little Gemini has committed another taboo again."

*

"It's time," Kaizoku muttered than pulled a chest out of his inventory. It was as small as a book and when he opened it blue crystals could be seen. They were blue shards.

"What are those?" Hikari asked.

"Something really special." Kaizoku said. "It helps level the playing field." He then snickered at himself because of the inside joke.

"I don't get it." Hikari admitted.

"Rule number one of fighting a sorcerer. Never fight them in their domain."

"Meaning?"

"That entire island is Cortez's domain. He gains mana there and it makes him stronger while making us weaker. A very strong simultaneous buff and debuff."

"Then how are those blue shards gonna help with that?"

"Just watch." Kaizoku said then smirked. "Afshang!" He yelled then threw the small chest in the air.

The wolfman appeared while yawning and looked at his captain. "What I miss? Man, this hangover is killing me..." He muttered then grabbed his head.

As soon as the chest fell near him his hand reacted on instinct and he caught it without looking. He yawned again then looked at the chest and opened it. As soon as he saw what it was his eyes widened in surprise.

"Where the spirit world -"

"Details, details." Kaizoku waved him off and then hopped to his feet as he made his way to Afshang. He then put his hand on his shoulder and whispered something.

Afshang immediately nodded afterwards and then did a quick stretch. Kaizoku stood back and watched until he was done.

Then he ran.

Afshang ran at full speed towards the front of the ship and when he did he launched himself into the the air. He then equipped two revolving guns and began shooting towards the ocean continuously.

Hikari and a few other crew members ran to the front of the ship when it suddenly came to a halt.

"How is this possible?" He wondered as he looked down at the ocean.

"I told you I was levelling the playing field." Kaizoku said then laughed.

He was right.

Because now, the entire ocean was ocean for as far as they could see was covered in [Ice].