Chapter 6: Dire Bear

"We'll pick you up in a fortnight."

Kaizoku handed Hikari three healing potions to store in his inventory. "This is all you need to survive. Good luck!" Then they all left, leaving Hikari on Devils Peak, a jungle island in the middle of nowhere.

This was what Independence Fortnight is. You have to survive on this sisland with nothing but the skin of you're teeth. In the two days Hikari had learned how to hold a sword and the only skill he mastered was [Sidestep] but that doesn't matter because they didn't give him. How was he suppose to survive? How would they feel if he had died? Thoughts were running through his head but he realised none of that matters. He needed to find a way to protect himself.

As Hikari walked deeper into the forest he realised just how large the trees really were as they blocked out most of the sunlight as the huddled together. The animals around the trees looked fairly safe, like rabbits and deer. He realised he was going to have to hunt them and cook them himself.

"This might not be so ba - Gahh!!"

He was suddenly hit in the stomach and the  force sent him flying against a tree. What was that? He had not even heard anything moving closer.

He looked up to see a bear-like creature standing on two short legs with tremendously large forearms. It's mouth was filled to the brim with sharp teeth and and glinting eyes full of bloodlust. It was a Dire Bear.

A status bar appeared I'm front of Hikari.

[Dire Bear. Native to Devils Peak Island they are the strongest on the island with levels ranging from 20 - 30. They normally keep to themselves and are seen as the protectors of the island. You are new and considered dangerous. It is advised that you run as your current stats aren't high enough.]

A second notice also appeared.

[HP is critically low. Healing potion required. Accept?

Yes/No]

"Yes." Hikari pushed the button and a potion appeared from his inventory and he drank it. He felt his strength return to him and his health go back to normal. Then the notice boards disappeared and he was facing the beast again. How was he going to deal with this monster? The same as everyone else would.

He ran as fast as his legs could carry him.

"THERE'S NO WAY I'M FIGHTING THAT!! I'LL GET YOU FOR THIS KAIZOKU!!"

As he was running he heard crunches of wood and scratches happening behind him. The Dire Bear was behind him and it was moving faster than it should have with it's small legs. Hikari was jumping over large tree trunks and moving as fast as he could through the crowded forest but it sounded like the beast was just knocking down everything it it's path. Tears started falling down Hikari's face.

"I'm so dead. I'm so dead. I'm so dead. I'm so dead. I'm so dead. I'm so dead."

He quickly told himself and he had a feeling if he turned around he would be looking at death itself. He kept running straight while praying for a miracle.

Then his luck appeared. There was a few trees in front of him that had something odd about them. They had wooden spikes stretching a full metre out of the trunk of the tree. The spikes were moving in a spiral around the tree. They were Spike Trees. This could work for him.

As soon as he reached the trees he stood right in front on tree and broke off a spike. The Dire Bear arrived and stood a few metres away from Hikari. It seemed to have an idea of what Hikari was planning so it kept it's distance.

"Come at me you bastard!" Hikari yelledbut the beast stood still and analyzed Hikari's movements.

Hikari, realizing his half-assed plan was not going to work, had no idea what he was going to do now. He looked over at the beast and sighed. "Here goes..." He muttered then let out a war cry and charged after the beast. The Dire Saw the opportunity and charged after Hikari.

The first one to attack was Hikari. He cocked the spike backwards and threw it the beast. It predicted the movement and effortlessly dodged Hikari's attack. The spike hit a tree next to the beast. Hikari still charged at the beast and as soon as he reached it jumped into the air and right hooked the beast square in it's face.

The beast barely reacted and punched back and Hikari flew back a few metres just before the Spike Trees. He quickly stood up and spit out the blood gathering in his mouth. He wasn't going to use a potion yet.

"I thought you packed a tougher punch than that. You really are a joke!" Hikari didn't know why he said it but it felt right.

[New Skill Acquired: Taunt. Show your enemies how easily they can be taken advantage of. You have learnt to be a master of the tongue. Intelligence Boost.]

The skill seemed to be working on the beast as it got furious and charged after Hikari. He quickly broke off another branch and pointed it at the beast. Now's my chance!

The beast jumped at Hikari and as it was about to reach him he jumped out of the way and then the beast fell straight into the Spike Trees, impaling his body six times.

"Gah!Gah!" It coughed multiple times and blood shot out of it's body. Hikari was as it's HP drop further until it turned red. Then it suddenly stopped near the end. The beast wasn't going to die so easily. Hikari got angry and impaled it's body with the spike in his hand.

"Just die already!" He yelled.

The beast's HP dropped to 0 and then it died. Hikari sat down and took deep breaths. His hands were shaking. He had never experienced this feeling before in his entire life... That he remembers. He let out a sigh and tried to relax himself. He had a long inner debate but decided to use another potion. He needed to be in tip top shape if any beasts would try to attack him. A notice board appeared in front of him. He had gotten so used to it that it seized to surprise him.

Reward: 200 XP (+Lvl Up)

***
[Status Bar]

Name: Hikari
Race: Human
Class: Hero[Sealed] Swordsman[New]
Subclass: None
Age: 16
Level: 6(New)
Mana: N/A
HP: 80(+60)
Strength: 50(+50)
Intelligence: 60(+90)
Skills: [Sidestep][Taunt] [Spear Thrower]

Quest: Survive Independence Fortnight
[Ongoing]

***

Hikari was glad that he was improving but it was only the first day and he already used two healing potions. He was going to have to make up for it. He felt like he even had more work to do now.

That night...

He manage to find a cave and use it as shelter to protect him from the elements. He also discovered that the scent of the Dire Bear kept the other animals from attacking him. He had a wooden spike that he would use for training and hunting animals until he could make his own sword to survive on that island.