Chapter 43: Coven of the Roses(1)

Moments passed after Hikari returned to the Mary Jane with Elaine. They were both lain to rest and given health potions to recover. Afterwards, Afshang made the choice to go see what the commotion was about and Sulvanath protected the ship and the rest of the members.

And so, Sulvanath watched from afar.

His eyes relaxed and his face looked neutral. As a half-demon, his expressions still held some "scary" features, including his horns protruding through his disheveled hair, but that was only to anyone fully human.

To everyone else, he appeared grumpy as usual. A normal characteristic for the chef.

But, was he fine? No, he was not.

He was definitely bothered.

A few moments prior when his hand reached forward to grab Eva's coin, a peculiar feeling washed over him, almost leaving him almost overwhelmed.

Memories sprinted through his mind, and he almost dropped the coin because of it. Luckily, he was able to hide it well from the other two.

Was the feeling...nostalgic?

Is that why he argued with Afshang? He brought up their past so easily, slipping through his teeth like water. It was so uncharacteristic of him, and yet he can't explain why he did it.

No, that wasn't completely true. Maybe he already knew.

As per his habit, he stuffed his hands in his pockets and sighed. Cold sweat spurt from his back, making him uncomfortable.

Am I...nervous? He thought, but shook his head, rejected the thought.

Projecting his voice, Sulvanath said, "Don't make me call you out."

One...

Two...

... Five...

"Tch." He clicked his tongue. He was growing impatient. "If you don't come out, then-

"Then what?"

Like a spirit or some ethereal being, someone appeared.

The evening mist drifting onto the ship twisted and turned, materializing into a person. It changed shape into a woman. An alluring one at that.

Her clothing was stylish - a fancy black dress, laced tights, heels, assorted jewelry on her neck, hands and ears - and her hair was tied into a triple-braid, exposing her demonic horns. Her porcelain skin seemed "mistifying", but it was entirely genetic-based. She was half-human after all.

Her heels clucked as she landed.

"Will you make me get all teary-eyed because of our long-awaited reunion? That's a bit unfair of you, don't you think?" She smirked. It was definitely eye catching.

"You only say that because you hate sentimentality."

"... And you don't?"

"People change."

"No they don't," she said. "The one constant in life is that everything changes. Therefore, for something to change, it needs to remains constant. Hence, people never change, they only remain constant."