The New Rachel 4x01

I haven't seen Finn since he left 3 months ago for football practice. Things at Yale have been okay, definitely not what I expected. I had this outlook that everything was going to be perfect. Quinn and I would be roommates, which we actually haven't spoken since I found out that she hid my acceptance letter to Ohio State from me. School in general has been good, the courses aren't as hard as I imagined they'd be. Since I'm studying to be an English teacher, I have to write lots of papers which I really don't mind at all. 

Classes start today at 10 for me, so I roll out of bed and walk to the Starbucks which is in the bookstore.

Wearing my black Nike sweatpants and navy Yale crewneck, I throw my hair into a loose low pony tail and slip on my moccasins to start trudging over to the store.

My phone buzzes in my backpack as I walk to the bookstore but I ignore it. It's probably my mom texting me for the millionth time to make sure I've eaten enough, or have eaten at all. Which I really haven't because the food here sucks.

The bookstore cafe isn't busy but there's a few people in line for the Starbucks, including one person I wish I never had to see again.

"Hey" Quinn says as I enter the line.

I give a wave and a fake smile but don't continue the conversation.

She lowers her hand down, awkwardly.

Finally, the line moves and I'm at the counter ordering my veinte caramel latte with almond milk.

The drink is made and I head on my way to class.

I sit down in the lecture hall as I wait for the class to be filled up. I'm usually early for classes but that's okay. I don't really care if people think I'm a teachers pet or something, I just don't have anything else to do but go to school and do nothing.

My phone buzzes again. I give in and check the device. 

It's Brittany.

She says something about how they're all competing for the 'New Rachel' position. God I miss being at McKinley, back when I had friends and a life.

Classes go by slow and it's 5 O'clock and my roommate has been in our room with a scrunchie on the door, so I can't enter.

Instead of waiting outside the door, I go for a walk around campus. 

I see a big bonfire going on over in the courtyard which, even though I'm far from it, makes me feel warm and toasty.

Getting caught up in my thoughts and not watching where I'm going, I feel a body crash into mine, and next thing I know, I'm on the cement.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry"

A man looks shocked with his ear muffs and a long black wool coat.

"Let me help you" He says, putting his hand out for me to take.

"Thanks" I take his hand and he pulls me up.

He looks in my eyes for an awkward few seconds before looking down at the ground.

"Freshman?" He asks, furrowing his eyebrows, trying to guess why he hasn't seen me around.

"Yea" 

"My name's Collin" The man puts his hand back out for me to shake.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Jessie" 

"That's a nice name, reminds me of the cowgirl from Toy Story, but still. Good name" He's awkward, but I like the company.

He's carrying around a briefcase which just makes him look even more professional.

"What're you majoring in?"

"English major with a teaching concentration" I say to Collin.

"Gonna be a teacher huh?"

"Yup, that's the plan." I shrug. Okay, now this is getting awkward.

"Are you hungry? I usually eat around 6 when I get home but,"

"Wait, when you get home? Do you commute?"

"Yea, yea. I commute" He says, repeating my sentence. "Anyways, wanna grab a bite at this place up the street? It's really good, they've got burgers, fries, wicked good nachos."

"Yea sure, sounds fun. I just should go get changed" I point to my dorm.

"No, it's fine. Not a dressy place anyways. Come on" 

I follow Collin to his car which is a nice black Cadillac Sedan.

He turns on the radio which is playing some old Huey Lewis and The News.

"You like Huey?" He asks, noticing that I'm tapping my foot along to I Want A New Drug.

"Yea, I know a lot of his songs. Really good group"

We eat and by the time Collin takes me to the dorms to drop me off, it's around 9.

"Wow, 4 fours can go by really fast" He looks at his watch and laughs.

"Have a goodnight, nice meeting you" I say as I turn away from the car.

I keep walking and I check my phone to see a few messages from Mom, Brittany, Sam, and Finn?

When I get up to my dorm room, my roommate is gone, I dial Finn's number into my phone.

"Hey" He says when he picks up.

"Hi!" I smile instantly. But then I remember how I just got back from dinner with another guy. "How are you?"

"Good, good. How's Yale?"

"It's good. Quinn and I aren't talking so it's a little lonely but, it's okay"

"Football is awesome! I'm starting Sunday at the game. You should see if you can come" Finn's voice becomes gentle and soothing as he tries to get me to come see him play.

"I don't know, it's a long drive home just for one day"

"Well, think about it. I already talked to your mom and she said that it sounded good. How's Liam?"

"I don't know, haven't heard from him"

"oh"

"Well, I should get going, I'm pretty tired. Goodnight" I say.

"Goodnight. I lo-" I hang up the phone before Finn finishes his sentence.

I wake up and go to class at 10, like usual. But today I forget to get my coffee. 

I get to class early per usual, even before my professor today.

The door creaks open and I look over my shoulder to see Collin entering the lecture hall.

"What are you doing here?" I ask him.

"I'm the TA for this class" Collin brings in his briefcase and walks down the stairs to the teacher's desk.

"Oh, I had no idea."

"I'm a grad student, working on my Masters"

"Oh cool" I look at my computer as I take it out, ignoring the eyecontact Collin's making with me.

He walks up and sits on the arm of my chair.

"Wanna do something again tonight?" he asks me, suddenly very close to me.

"I dunno" I say. "I need to figure out my plans"

"Well, there's this bar downtown that would be pretty cool to go to with you. I'm sure you have something to wear that would fit the occasion."

"I'm 18, I can't get into a bar"

"It's okay, I know a few people that owe me some favors" He smirks and walks back down to the desk. "Just think about it?"

"I have a boyfriend" I protest.

Silence

Class proceeds and I'm left curious as to why this older guy is interested in me.

I look down at my hand, to see my little diamond ring that means something to me, and to Finn.