Playing the Game

We were all going to die. I used to be an optimistic person, but that shit went out the window as soon as the hot mountain man decided we were going to hunt the hunters. Oh no, wait. Scratch that. He decided that they were going to hunt the hunters. I was supposed to hide in a closet somewhere, so I wouldn't get hurt. Well, there was no fucking way that was going to happen.

Rosalie was going to continue working on the jeep. It seemed like an impossible job, but she was determined to get it done. Emmett couldn't leave due to his leg, but I was almost positive he would have stayed with her regardless.

Mike and Jessica were going to stick together. I was fairly certain they had just participated in a good luck fuck before heading out, but I was past the point of judging people. I was actually kind of jealous; not that I wanted either of them, but you know.

Lauren was in bitch mode. Was it bad that I wanted the hunters to get her first? At least the rest of us would be able to die in peace. I contemplated just stabbing her myself, but I was trying to put off murdering someone as long as possible. I didn't think I would enjoy it very much. Damn conscience.

I was the most worried about Jacob. A couple of days ago we were still trying to get over the whole breaking up thing. Now, I didn't know what I would do if something happened to him. Breakup aside, he was probably my best friend. He wanted me to stay safe, but he knew me well enough to know I wasn't going to hide. Once I slipped past Edward, Jacob would be waiting for me. He promised.

If the hunters should be afraid of anyone, it would be Edward. He had already survived a few nights in the woods. He knew how to hide. He knew the most about them. He also had more reasons to fight. We were fighting for our lives. He was fighting for his, his sister's. and for some reason beyond me, mine.

"Bella." I ignored him. I was so pissed with the way he was treating me. He pushed me against the wall, trapping me there with his arms. "Stop being a brat. I'm trying to save your fucking life."

"You're forcing me to hide while everyone else fights. Why just me? Why not Jessica? Why not Lauren?" I asked forcefully.

"I don't give a damn about Jessica or Lauren. If they want to get themselves killed, that's their decision. The last thing I need to worry about while I'm trying to kill those bastards is you doing something stupid," he replied.

I glared at him. "If I want to get myself killed, it's my decision. You don't even know me, so you shouldn't give a damn about me either." I tried to push past him, but he pinned me to the wall.

"I don't care if you're angry. Just get in the damn closet, and don't come out for anyone but me," he demanded.

"What if you don't make it back?" I asked.

"I will," he replied just as coolly.

When he stepped back, I stormed up the stairs. I wasn't going to make it out of the cabin with him still there anyway. He would probably end up tying me up or something. I went into a closet and slammed the door behind me. Maybe I was acting like a brat, but he was still being a jackass. He had absolutely no right to tell me what to do. I got that he wanted to save my life for whatever reason. However, I didn't want to live as a coward while my friends went out fighting.

I waited until I knew they were gone before slipping out of the closet. I made my way carefully through the cabin, making sure to stay away from any windows. It would really suck to go out like Bree had. When I made it outside, Jacob wasn't there. He promised he would meet around back. Jake never broke a promise, so where the hell was he? He had to have been nearby, so I stayed low and crept around to the side.

"Oh my God," I breathed. Jacob was lying unconscious on the ground. I dropped down beside him and checked for a pulse. He was alive. "Jake," I shook him. "Jacob, please wake up."