Chapter 18

My alarm clock rang the next morning, I punched it off, so sleepy I could barely open my eyes, I rolled off my bed and went to wash my face with freezing cold water, after that I was kind of awake. I got dressed for school quickly and went down stairs swinging my backpack over my shoulder.

"Cereal?" My mom asked as I came downstairs.

"No thanks, I'll just take a banana," I said rushing out.

"You going already?" My mom asked, "But it's still early."

"Uh, yeah, I have to be in school early for some last minute preparation for my presentation," I managed to lie. The truth was, I didn't want to be around my parents for a while until I figured out what they where talking about last night, and I can't ask them because then they'll know I was spying on them. I had to find out all the information by myself.

I text Megan to come in early as I was walking to the buss stop, then I stopped by Jedayel's house. I knocked lightly on the door, praying not to wake the rest of the house.

"Why so early Meerkat?" He asked half asleep with his toothbrush in his mouth and his tshirt wasn't too tight but you could still see his six pack.

"Big reason, get ready, I'll tell you and Meg when we reach school,"

The three of us were standing by the lockers and I had just finished telling them everything I overheard last night.

"Why would your aunt take you away from your parents?" Jedayel asked.

"I don't know!" I said slightly frustrated, "But I need to find out!"

"Hold on a sec," Megan said, "If your aunt took you away from your parents then you probably went to foster care right?"

"I guess so.. why?"

"Because my mom works at the social services and if you went into foster care then you obviously would have a file with information about why you were taken out of your real parents care!" Megan said carefully but excitedly.

"Meg that's genius!" I exclaimed.

"Unfortunately I must agree," Jedayel joked.

"We can go there after school today, it takes an hour to get there by buss," she told us.

"An hour?" I asked worriedly,

"Wait, wait, my brother is free, he can drive us," Jedayel said.

The whole day at school seemed to stretch forever and when Rob started his crap about my hijab I was ready to punch him so hard he'd have to replace his face but luckily Megan kept me calm.

Finally the end of day bell rang, the three of us ran out of school and saw Jamal in his car already waiting for us. Jedayel went into the front passenger seat and me and Meg went back.

"Where to kids?" He asked pleasantly.

"Really? We're 18 and you still call us kids?" Jedayel rolled his eyes.

"Ameerah's still 17, so technically, you're all kids," Jamal teased lightly.

"Ok, we need to go north, right Meg?" Jedayel asked.

"Yeah," Megan confirmed, "Social service centre."

"All righty then,"

We reached the social service centre and Megan guided us to the room with the records, she carefully closed the door behind her making sure no one saw us.

"Ok guys, the records are arranged my year, so look at the bottom drawers first," Megan informed.

All three of us started skimming through the files.

"Found it," Jedayel said, like one of those agents in the James Bond movie would say.

We all  gathered around to read itm, this is what it said.

Ameerah Hasaan.

Age: 1 year and 3 monthes.

Case held against her parents, Aidah Ahmad Hasaan and Zackaria Hasaan. 

Prosecuter: Maymoona Hasaan. She claims parents aged 23 and 25 are incapable of taking care of the child.

Case results: Defendants loose, child taken into foster care by parents Aggie Smith and Ben Smith.

Then in the same file it showed another paper saying just less then a month later my parents set another case to have me back,

Jedayel and Megan both looked at me not sure what to say.

"Ameerah, talk to your parents about this, have them tell you the truth," He said breaking the silence.

"Why would that evil witch say my parents are incapable of taking care of me? they took care of me fine for the last 17 years of my life!" I said infuriated.

"Jedayel's right Ameerah," Megan said softly placing her hand on my arm, "Talk to your parents, ask them why,"