Chapter 6

I woke up to the sound of the Fajr Adhaan (call for morning prayer), I heaved myself out of bed and went to the bathroom to do wadhoo' (it's a ritual where you wash your face, hands and feet before praying).

I finished praying then started to get ready for school. I wore a long sleeved white Tshirt and on top of that I wore a green short sleeved Tshirt and jeans that were neither too baggy nor too loose, just perfect, and I wore a green and white printed hijab (headscarf).

I went downstairs for breakfast, my mom was toasting the bread and my dad was buttering them.

"Salaam wa Alaikum (peace be on you)," I said entering the kitchen.

"Wa Alaikum Salaam (and peace be on you too)," They replied in unison.

"Ameerah can you make my coffee," My dad asked fumbling with his computer bag.

"Of course baba.. And you too mama?" I asked.

"Please," My mom nodded.

I made my parents their coffee and started munching on my toast.

"Do you need a ride?" My dad asked finishing his toast.

"It's fine, I'll take the buss,"

"Sure?" My mom asked raising her eyebrows.

"Yeah," I said.

"I didn't do my maths!" Jedayel groaned on the buss. "My brother came home drunk yesterday and broke the glass vase my grandma had given us, the glass flew inches away from my mother.. It could have hit her..."

"Here," I said taking out my maths book,

He looked at me for a second, "You sure?"

"Of course," I smiled.

He copied down the first three questions then stopped. "I can't, it's your work,"

"Mr Handman's gonna kill you, just do it,"

"It's fine," Jedayel said.

"Oh some one's on time today," Megan made fun of Jedayel.

"Some one's head looks like it's on fire today," Jedayel grinned.

"Lay off the hair ok, I over slept and didn't have time to straighten it," She flushed.

"Aww really?" Jedayel said with obviously false interest.

"You-"

"Really? First thing in the morning?" I asked stopping their argument.

"So did you watch the match last night?" I asked.

"What?" Megan said looking confused.

"Soccer match, blockhead," Jedayel clarified.

"Oh yeah because I'm such a soccer fan," She rolled her eyes.

The bell rang and we headed off to class.

"Homework please," Mr Handman our maths teacher said at the beginning of the lesson.

"You have less then thirty second if you want to change your mind," I said to Jedayel holding my homework.

"Go away Ameerah," He teased.

"Homework Jedayel?" Mr Handman demanded.

"Sorry sir, I didn't do it,"

"And why would that be?"

"My little cousin who was staying at our place broke his leg, we had to take him to the hospital, the whole issue became a big deal because he is very young," Jedayel lied swiftly.

"Only this once," Mr Handman warned, "On my table tomorow morning."

"Nice story,"  I grinned, "What was this cousins name by the way?"

"John?" Jedayel laughed.

We waited for Megan to come out of the class then headed to the cafe for lunch. I got my tray then waited in line, behind some of the freshmen girls, I didn't mean to overhear their conversation but when I did, I bit my lip to keep me from laughing as I remembered lazing around with Megan and Jedayel. I had met Megan in fourth grade when her family had just shifted into the area, I have no idea how we became besties, we have absolutely nothing in common, she's more of the 'make sure my hair is perfect' girl and I'm the more 'who won the soccer match last night' girl.

My thoughts were interrupted when Rob and his gang cut in line in front of me.

"Hey!" I said.

"Something wrong shorty?" Rob smirked. Ok, in my defence, he is very tall, I am NOT short! Not that short anyway.

I realised I had drawn attention to myself, people turned to stare, because when Rob opens his mouth you know something interesting is going to happen.

"No, nothing's wrong," I said, not looking directly at him.

"That's what I thought," He smirked

I got my food and found Jedayel and Megan sitting at a table in the corner of the cafe.

                                                 __________________________________

Ok people tune in for the next chapter, you're gonna find out something you never expected! 

Keep reading!! Love ya all!!