Chapter 2 : Calm Ride

Maggie's POV,

It was just before eleven when I got changed into my riding stuff. My favourite thing to do, other than music and run.

1 text from James :

I'm outside! :) x

I didn't bother replying just grabbed the saddle from my room and walked downstairs. I cleaned my tack almost daily, because it looks better that way.

"Hello there!" I smiled and walked out, my long dark hazel wavy hair in a pony tail. Even if my hair was up, it was still down to my bum.
"Hello!" James welcomed me.
"Up this way!" I pointed to the little path and we walked.

"My friend Tris has his own horse, the drummer from my band I told you about?" James said.
"Yeah I remember, so you rode his?" I asked and I put the saddle onto the gate and opened the tack room.
"No! His horse isn't calm! The bucks he does!" James told me. I giggled.
"Terragon is a calm ride!" I told him and put the numnah and rains over the saddle.
"I'm just watching for now anyway..." James back away as I called Terragon. He galloped towards me and I attached the lead rope and opened the gate.
He was relatively clean, so I didn't have to really brush him loads, I picked his feet then started to tack up.

"He is so calm!" James was so shocked.
"Not all horses are mental!" I told him and pulled up the girth and waited for Terragon to breathe out.

We walked to the arena just outside my house.
"Need help getting up?" James asked me. I shook my head and smiled before putting my leg in the stirrup and taking the rains in my hands as I mounted. I grabbed my helmet off the fence (where I left it yesterday) and put it on.
"Always safe!" James winked at me.

I kicked Terragon on and he went straight into a dressage trot in the arena. We liked to show off. We then broke into a steady canter around the edges.

"Do you mind setting the jump?" I shouted to James.
"Sure!" He shouted back and climbed through the fence. He took the pole and put it up.
"Is it not high?" He asked. I looked and Terragon went back into a trot.
"Perfect thank you!" I said and waited for him to get back out.

"Let's go boy!" I patted his neck and we broke into a steady canter and cantered towards the jump.
"Hop hop!" I told Terragon and we leaped over the jump. And went into a trot after.

After about half an hour we stopped and I dismounted in the arena.

"Your turn!" I took off my helmet and gave it to James.
"I really don't-" he tried to argue.
"Don't worry, we'll look after you!" I said patting Terragon's neck. James put on the helmet, put his leg in the stirrup and mounted.
"Not bad is it?" I asked. James shook his head.
"Comfortable to be honest!" He agreed.

I walked in front of Terragon and he followed me.
"How does he do that?" James seemed fascinated.
"Years of trust I guess! It took us ages to build our bond!" I giggled and we walked around a few times, before we went into a trot.
"You're not so bad you know!" I told James.
"Thanks!" He said and I saw 3 boys walk up my drive. I looked up at James and started walking backwards, Terragon still following me.

"James you look FABALAS!" The tall one said. By the looks of it, it was Tris. I stopped walking and held Terragon so James could get off. He gave me my helmet back and I mounted back on.

"Guys what are you doing here?" He looked surprised to see them.
"Surprise?" The brown haired boy said. His voice sent shivers down my spine, but I kicked Terragon on to a dressage trot around the arena once more.

"Who's that?" I heard them say, but I didn't want to interfere.
"That's Maggie!" He said and they all looked at me, so I rode towards them.
"Hi!" I smiled.
"Maggie this is Connor, Tris and Brad, boys this is Maggie!" James said and my eyes fixed with Brads. Terragon snorted.
"Oh and this is Terragon!" He introduced him too and we all laughed.
"You have some skills Maggie!" Tris said.
"Thank you, years of riding!" I told him.
"You do have talent, that dressage trot was nearly with no mistakes, just try and keep his head up a bit," tris added.
"Thank you!" I said and made Terragon bow.

"Well we will be going, I'll text you yeah?" James said as he bent through the fence.
"Sure! Laters!" I said waving to them all.
"Bye! And thank you!" James said and they walked down.

I spent a bit longer practising with Terragon when my dad pulled into the drive.
"Afternoon!" I waved and kicked on Terragon to trot to the gate, so dad would open it.
"Afternoon! Good ride?" He asked me and opened the gate.
"Yes thank you! I'll just put him in and then meet you inside!" I said walking off.

I untacked Terragon and have him chaff to eat.
"He had gorgeous eyes didn't he boy?" I told him. I knew he wasn't paying attention.

When I got home dad was talking to me about the university and how it's not looking like they will accept anyone this late into the year. That was fine by me, more time at home.

***********************************************

Hi!
I hope you're enjoying the story so far! It's just the beginning!
My twitter is : @MaggieMerrygold
I have a few ideas up my sleeves, so bringing the story along slowly.

~ Maggie x