Ackerman turned and pointed to her car. "I'll take you there. Come with me!"

Chara ran with Ackerman to her vehicle. "Yes, thank you!"

"Don't mention it!"

As Chara and her friends ran off, Toriel stared at them with a terrified expression. "Chara, Asriel... do not die. Please."

They got in the car, and they raced towards Mount Ebott.

#

Chara, Flowey, Elodie walked through the abandoned hallways of Asgore's Castle, while Ackerman and an elite squad of Military Police agents stood by in the Throne Room. Ackerman had anticipated that Monty may have had surveillance equipment set up, so Chara had brought Elodie and Flowey with her to test its range. Chara didn't know what Monty was after, but it was unlikely that he would dispose of his hostage without warning.

As they approached their destination, Chara stopped dead in her tracks.

"What's wrong?" Elodie asked.

"Monty's there," Chara said.

"We know."

"No, I mean, I know he's there."

"Huh?"

Chara sensed it. Inside the next corridor, there was exactly one enemy lying in wait for them. It was as if the world itself was alerting her to a hostile presence. Was this Nora's ability? How had Chara acquired it? That power was supposed to be exclusive to perseverance souls, not even a determination soul should have been able to attain it. Was it another benefit of being a demon? Well, in any case, it was a very useful power to have.

Chara's phone vibrated. She answered it.

"Chara," Monty said, "didn't I make it clear? I only want you. Just you."

"My apologies," Chara replied. "I just thought you might want to see your daughter one last time before you die."

"Hmm... oh, all right, if you insist."

Really? Chara hadn't expected that. Was he trying to say that even the three of them working together wouldn't be enough to defeat him? He would regret that. Chara couldn't wait to see that smug bastard die.

The three of them stepped inside the hallway. The Underground's artificial sunlight shone through the windows, and at the other end of the hall, they saw Papyrus and Monty. Papyrus was just as he appeared in the photo, helplessly lying on the floor tied up, and Monty stood beside him. He was dressed in his Military Police uniform, and he carried a sword on his hip. He waved at them. "Finally, there you are."

"Tell me something," Chara said. "Of all people, why did you have to kidnap Papyrus?"

"Because he's smart," Monty said. "He knows things. For instance, he knows that Frisk is still hanging around in your head."

Chara gasped. "I... I don't what you're talking about!"

How the hell?! Frisk exclaimed.

Monty laughed. "You're a terrible liar, Chara. I can see it in your eyes. It's true, isn't it? Frisk lives on as your fellow demon. How does it feel to have three minds in one body? Must be crowded, I imagine."

Chara grimaced. "What do you want?"

"You know what I want. This world is dying, tearing apart at the seams. A firm hand is needed to keep it together, and I'm hoping that you will provide it."

Chara reached for her knife. "So, you want me to dominate the world like some evil overlord?"

Monty kept smiling. "This may sound hard to believe, but I've always done what I thought is best for this world. Humans will always use power to impose their will on others, but power is also needed to defend freedom. Power is not inherently good or evil; it all depends on how it's wielded."