Can't Let Go

"You're the type of person who won't EVER be happy."

-Sans

#

After a long, silent, and awkward drive, Asgore dropped Frisk off home. Asgore didn't say anything as Frisk got out of the car. He simply drove away, with a look of anger in his eyes.

Dad...

For the time being, Frisk didn't worry about it. All he wanted was to see Chara. He looked at the setting sun and took a deep breath, and then he walked up to the door and rang the bell. Toriel answered, with a somber expression on her face.

"Greetings, my child."

"Mom... did you hear?"

Toriel nodded.

"How's she doing?"

"I believe she is eager to see you."

"Me too."

Toriel let Frisk inside. "She is in your room."

Frisk thanked his mother and walked to his room. He quietly opened the door. Chara was sitting in the couch, waiting for him. Chara got up and stared at him, with sorrow and longing in her eyes.

Frisk walked up to her, and they wrapped their arms around each other. They both needed each other's embrace so badly. It felt like finding a warm fire in the middle of a blizzard. Frisk didn't want to let go.

"I'm so sorry, Frisk," Chara whispered.

"What are you sorry for?"

"I'm already causing you so much trouble."

He pat her on the back. "Don't say that. You'll never be a burden to me. No matter what happens, I'll never regret saving you."

Chara sniffled. "Wh-why, Frisk? Why do you care about me so much?"

"I... I just want you to be happy. I can't stand seeing you miserable like this."

Chara broke the hug and stepped away from him. "I don't deserve to be happy. I had my chance to live a happy life, but I threw it away as soon as I ate my first buttercup."

He shook his head. "N-no! You deserve a second chance! I'd give anything to make you happy!"

Chara made a smile, but not a happy one. "Haha... Frisk... you're such a sap. You'd forgive anyone, wouldn't you? You really do believe that anyone can be a good person, no matter how much they hurt you. You've forgiven people who literally killed you."

Frisk gave her a patient smile. "I know you're a good person."

She still looked miserable. "It doesn't matter. I deserve to suffer for what I've done. Everyone's right to hate me."

Frisk knew how to cheer her up. It was time to do what he did best. Frisk caressed Chara's adorable pink cheek. "I don't understand how anyone can hate someone so cute."

She blushed. "F-Frisk?"

Frisk stared into Chara's bright red eyes. "Chara, have I told you how pretty your eyes are?"

"M-my eyes? Humans were always afraid of them. They used to say that I look like a demon."

"I think they're beautiful. They fill me with..."

"Determination?"

"Passion."

Despite her efforts not to, Chara started laughing. "Oh my God, Frisk! Stop it!"