Trust Me

Nate stood with Nora in the courthouse's modest security office. In front of him was the service desk, which was clear expect for a phone and a humming fan. To his left was a screen showing camera feeds to various rooms, such as the main court chamber. In the back of the room was the storage closet, where a security officer was rummaging through a full rack of boxes filled with personal items confiscated for the trial.

They were here to get their stuff back. They were tracking down a potential killer, so their first move was to arm themselves. They may have been discharged from the Military Police, but Nate still had his family's revolver, and Nora still had her obsessive collection of swords. In case there was trouble, they needed their weapons.

Nora impatiently tapped her finger on the service desk. "Ugh, can you pick up the pace a bit?"

"Please be patient, ma'am. There's a lot of boxes to sort through."

Of course, they didn't say they were hunting down a suspect. They simply told the officer that they were leaving. As long as they didn't go back inside the court chamber, they would be fine.

Nate glanced at the security monitor, looking at the main court chamber feed. For some reason, Frisk was on the stand, being questioned by Selena. There was no audio, so Nate had no idea what it was about.

As they waited, Nora's shoulders tensed. "Nate," she whispered, "it just got worse."

Nate whispered back. "How bad?"

According to Nora, the killing intent they were tracking wasn't very strong. It was only just enough for Nora to pick up. She hypothesized that the subject wasn't a killer at heart, and only wanted to kill out of self-defense. Of course, that begged the question, what were they defending themselves from?

Suddenly, Nora darted her head towards the security monitor. It didn't take Nate long to see what had startled her. On the camera feed for the main court chamber, Nate saw Jacob holding a gun to Frisk's head.

"What?!"

As if that weren't bad enough, dozens of rouge Military Police officers had turned their guns on the audience, and Selena was standing right beside Jacob, pretending to be shocked. She held her cheeks and gasped in a blatantly insincere, mocking way, as if to taunt them for daring to trust her.

Nate refused to believe this. "Selena...? No, you would never do this."

"Y-yeah," Nora breathed. "That can't be her."

Now that Nate thought about it, this explained a lot. It had someone using the Doppelganger spell. Doppelganger, as the name implied, allowed the caster to temporality assume the appearance of another person. That was why 'Selena' avoided Nate's touch earlier. It would have broken the spell... Damn it, he knew something was off! All he had to do was touch her! Why was he such an idiot?

Nate grimaced. "This is my fault. How could I let them fool me?"

"They fooled us all, Nate," Nora reminded him.

Who was it? Who had tricked him?

Soon enough, Nate got his answer. The doppelganger cancelled their spell, revealing their true identity... Agent Neil Campbell.

Nate shouted in disbelief. "Campbell?!"

"Wasn't he one of yours?" Nora asked.

Nate lowered his head. Granted, he hadn't known him verylong. Their relationship only went as far back as their assignment to spy on Frisk. Still, Nate had no idea Campbell would do such a thing. He always saw him as a good man. His warm smile and charismatic charm had always kept his unit together. Although he was generally laid back, he always seemed concerned for everyone's safety. He never once showed a hint of malice or apathy towards others, and he never once gave Nate any reason to distrust him.