Long Live the Demon

"Long ago, two races ruled over Earth: HUMANS and MONSTERS. One day, war broke out between the two races."

-Undertale Intro

Ruled over Earth? As in, all of Earth?

#

With heavy eyes, Chara took out her notebook and got ready for her first class of the day, World History. She was still exhausted from her hellish nightmares. Frisk and Flowey had helped, but the power of love wasn't going to magically solve everything.

Although, there was something special motivating Chara that day. It was September 15th, Frisk's birthday! She couldn't wait to celebrate with him!

The teacher, Mr. Hemlock, started his lecture. They were still covering the Pre-War Era, the time before the Human-Monster War. Naturally, technology was limited back then, but magic was much more prevalent, thanks to the alliance between humans and monsters. Long range communication was possible with a magic-powered device called the echophone, which was extrapolated from the echo flower. Despite the simple technology, primitive forms of globalization started to occur early on in the Earth's history. By the time the war started, the entire planet was connected.

Unlike modern times, Earth was divided into many completely separate nations. Humans fought wars occasionally, but monsters usually stayed out of them due to both their unwillingness and relative inability to fight. They weren't even aware of what would happen if they absorbed human SOULs.

For the most part, humans and monsters got along well. There were human-controlled nations and monster-controlled nations, but many nations were mixed. It wasn't perfect. The division was there. There were quite a few bigots on both sides, but for the most part, the two races were equal. It must have been a wonderful time. Chara wished she could have seen it.

But, of course, it didn't last forever...

"One day," Hemlock said, "a monster made a discovery that would forever change everything. If you haven't heard of her, I might just fail you right now. That's right! That monster was Bora, Daughter of Boaris.

"Bora had lived a long life with her human husband, long for a human, that is. Bora was a boss monster, which meant she was doomed to outlive her husband by quite some time. When her husband inevitably died of natural causes, Bora was wracked with grief. She saw his red SOUL floating over his body, and she absorbed it, turning her into a terrible beast with incredible power. Once she tasted this power, she immediately hungered for more, so she hunted down five more humans and–"

Chara jumped out of her seat. "That is not how it happened! Bora's sole motive for obtaining those souls was her grief for her husband! She never 'hungered' for power!"

"Ms. Dreemurr," Hemlock said, "we've been over this. If you have a question, raise your hand."

Chara grumbled and sat back down.

"So," Hemlock went on, "Bora absorbed a total of six human SOULs, just one SOUL away from becoming a god. Fortunately, she was stopped when the SOULs rebelled, led by Bora's husband himself. That day, a truly horrific crisis had been adverted. They may very well have saved humanity."

"Humanity would have been fine!" Chara yelled. "Bora had not simply given in to megalomania! She only wished to save the human she loved! She would not have continued killing–"

"All right," Hemlock said, "what do you think would have happened? What would have happened if Bora had absorbed a seventh SOUL?"

"U-umm... well..."