Murderer

This time, Felicia actually paid attention to the boring dinner.

Mother, Father, Nate, Nora, and Jacob were all seated. Felicia watched closely as the maid, Flora, laid out the meat, the fish, and the drinks in an orderly fashion. One of their chefs, Kawasaki, came and poured the tea into Felicia, Nate, Nora, and Jacob's cups, in that order. Felicia didn't spot anything suspicious. Everything looked normal.

"Your favorites are here!" Kawasaki exclaimed. "Steak, fish, wine, and sunflower tea!"

"Golden flower tea," Felicia corrected.

"Oh, right! Easy mistake!"

Idiot.

Flora bowed. "Please enjoy." She and Kawasaki left. Everything was just like last time.

Wait, no. Shouldn't the scientists have been here by now?

They finally showed up. "Sorry to keep you waiting," John apologized.

"We just got a report," Eva explained. "There has been a reset recently."

"Two, actually."

"But one was just five seconds."

"It wasn't even worth mentioning."

"This one, however..."

Father cut them off. "One at a time, please."

"Sorry," John said. "The point is, your daughter reset this night."

Mother gave her a scolding look. "Felicia, why did you reset?"

"U-umm..." She couldn't just tell them that she saw Jacob die. She didn't want to spook the killer, if they hadn't been spooked already.

"Resets are not a toy," Mother chided.

"Your Mother's right," Father said. "You can't reset without a good reason."

"Do we need to explain it?" Eva asked.

Oh, no...

"First of all," John began, "when you reset, you are not the only one traveling through time. When you reset, everyone goes with you."

"Think of our timeline as a cassette tape," Eva said. "Left untouched, the tape plays normally, and when you reset, you are rewinding it to a certain save point."

"A common misconception about World Masters is that they travel to different timelines. In reality, when you reset, you do not create a new timeline. Save for some trace memories, everything that happened ceases to exist. When you reset, you're erasing the entire world's progress."

"Even without full recollection, the effects can linger. Have you ever played a video game and forgot to save for a while, or perhaps even lost all your data and had to start all over? Imagine that, except in real life. Imagine finding out that you and everyone you know forgot the last day you spent."

"Although, it is curious how some people experience faint memories of resets. While no one truly understands how this memory retention works, DT is clearly linked with..."

"...the timespace-continuum reacts to every..."

"...on the quantum level..."

"...a breakthrough has allowed us to..."

"...can track them with a device that uses..."

Felicia yawned, deeply.

Both scientists glared at her with their light blue eyes. "You need to teach her some respect," Eva told her parents.