Pieces

Chara woke up in a cold sweat.

"Chara..."

It was the middle of the night. She was in Frisk's bed, and Frisk was beside her, holding her. "F-Frisk? What?"

"You were crying in your sleep," Frisk explained.

"Oh... sorry to wake you, Frisk."

"Were you dreaming about Felicia?"

It had been a while, but the last dream was stronger than any other, and absolutely horrifying. Chara turned to face him. "Frisk, it was awful! Her brother... someone poisoned him. He died right in front of her."

"What? But, he's still alive."

"Yes, Felicia reset to save him, and that's what woke me up."

"Oh... did you... see who did it?"

Chara shook her head. "No, but Frisk, this dream was different than the others. It was... stronger than a dream. I didn't just see through her eyes. I could feel her thoughts. I knew what she was thinking, Frisk."

"Her thoughts? Like when you were in my head?"

"No," she answered. "It was nothing like when I was in your head. It was disorienting. I had trouble feeling my own thoughts over hers. It felt so weird, and the worst part was feeling how she felt about everyone. I could feel how much she cared about her brother, her parents, Nate, and even Nora." She stifled a bitter laugh. "It felt wrong. I hate Nora, but in this dream, I was forced to like her, because Felicia liked her. Jacob too. Felicia was so heartbroken over his death, and by extension, I was heartbroken, but why should I care? That creature holds no love for monsters whatsoever. He would see my family rot underground for eternity."

"...Maybe," Frisk said, "but I don't think he was always like that."

God, Frisk was an insanely kind person. He had every right to hate Malcom, but it sounded like he was willing to give even him a chance. Chara loved him for it, but she couldn't be half as merciful as Frisk. She hated Malcom, but did she have the right to hate him? Did she have the right to hate anyone? Malcom was right about one thing. If she'd had her way, she would have committed genocide against humanity, and... Frisk never would have been born. Sweet, wonderful Frisk. That alone was an unforgivable sin. How could she judge anyone after that?

Chara sighed. She had to focus. It was possible that finding out who killed Felicia could be used against Malcom somehow. Although, there was also the matter of what caused all those timelines to be destroyed. Dr. Gaster had spoken of alternate timelines before. They may have been different worlds, but it was still frightening to hear about so many being destroyed for no apparent reason. The Miller scientists predicted that her timeline, the very world she lived in, may have been destroyed about thirty years from then, and that was about how long it had been until Frisk arrived underground, and when... she had awakened...

No, out of the question! Frisk would never let her do something like that. Even if she wanted to, Frisk would've stopped her. She couldn't have overpowered him if she tried. Frisk was too strong, too kind. No matter what kind of demon was influencing him, he never, in any world, would've allowed something so vile to happen. Frisk had nothing to do with those timelines.

At the very least, not the Frisk she knew, not her Frisk.

"Are you all right?" Frisk asked her.

She wasn't. That dream had shaken her, and not just because of the murder. She shook her head. "No, I'm not all right."

"What's wrong?"