Confessions

"Chara, I said it before. Even after all this time... you're still the only one who understands me."

-Flowey

#

Toriel finally received a call from Frisk. She could tell from her child's voice that something terrible had happened, but all Frisk said was that he, Chara, and Asriel would be back soon. Toriel was going to make snail pie for them, but something in the back of her mind told her not to, so she made more butterscotch-cinnamon pie instead. She dearly hoped that they were okay, and she wished they would tell her what was wrong. In the past, Chara and Asriel had both acted this way often. Sometimes they would look so depressed, but whenever she tried to ask what was wrong, Chara would just laugh it off and insist that everything was fine. Asriel had often cried, but he also refused to explain why.

In retrospect, Toriel had gotten a good idea what their problems were. Asriel, as the Prince of Monsters, lived a rather sheltered life. He had been very lonely, and he was worried about his future responsibilities as the heir to the throne, as the heir to a kingdom that was barley clinging to its hope. It was not until he found Chara that Asriel had truly felt close to someone. As for Chara... she did not climb Mount Ebott for a happy reason. She understood and shared Asriel's fears over his royal title, as well as his loneliness. As someone who had been hailed as 'the future of humans and monsters,' Chara was also afraid of not living up to her expectations. Combine that with her hatred for humanity... it was no wonder what had happened.

Toriel frowned. As their mother, she had failed both of them. She should have understood what they were going through long before they had taken such drastic actions. She was supposed to take care of them. She was supposed to keep them safe, but she did not. She let her children die. She had failed them...

...Toriel was not going to fail her children again.

At last, her children arrived home. Frisk opened the door. The expression on his face, on all their faces, was heartbreaking. They looked so defeated, and Frisk had... blood on his shirt? What had happened?!

"My children..." Toriel said. "What is the matter? Frisk, why is there blood on your shirt?"

None of them answered. They all just gave her a sad look.

"A-are you hurt, Frisk?" Toriel asked. "O-or, is that..."

Frisk shook his head. "Don't worry. It's my blood, but I'm okay now."

That was awful, but at least it was not like his abduction. Toriel knew how horrible it was like to watch someone die right before one's eyes, no matter how terrible that person was, but...

"Talk to me," Toriel pleaded. "Frisk, what happened to you? Why did you reset? Why did you flee your home so suddenly?"

Frisk barley made eye contact with her. "There... there was an accident."

Toriel could hardly believe the story that Frisk told her. He told her about how he saw the amalgamate called Endogeny inadvertently kill an innocent child, and how he tried but failed to persuade the authorities not to arrest them. He neglected to explain how he got his blood on his shirt, but Toriel decided not to ask. She was glad Frisk opened up as much as he did... Oh dear, that sounded like an awful pun!

"We couldn't stop them," Frisk said. "I knew they didn't deserve to be taken away, but I couldn't stop them..."

"Do not feel bad, Frisk," Toriel told him. "I know that you did all you could." She smiled. "Do not worry. I am certain that when the courts judge them, they will find Endogeny innocent. I highly doubt this case will even go beyond the preliminary hearing."