Goodnight

When it was all over, he wished me goodnight.

He told me to let Frisk go.

He told me to let Frisk be happy.

But I cannot sleep.

#

Felicia returned home.

Mother greeted her at the entrance. Felicia was surprised that she was still home. She was certain that Mother would be off on president business by now. If she was here, where was Father? Was he avoiding her?

No, there he was. Father stumbled into the hall, holding a half-empty bottle of wine. Oh, God...

"H-hey there, Felicia," Father slurred.

"You're drunk," Felicia bluntly said.

He held his bottle high. "Wh-what tipped you off?"

She couldn't believe it. The nerve of him! "What the hell, Father? How can you drink at a time like this?"

He hiccuped. "How could I not? Someone's trying to murder my daughter, and instead of staying safe, she just runs straight into danger. B-besides, it's not like she listens to me anyway."

Mother scowled at him. "Why should she listen to you? You can't even control yourself."

"Oh, fuck you!"

"That'll be difficult in your condition, but I'm game."

"Not like that!"

"What a shame. I guarantee I can provide much more comfort than your bottles."

Felicia's face flushed. "HEY!"

"Yeah, Elizabeth," Father mocked. "First you let her hunt down murderers, and now you talk like that right in front of our thirteen-year-old daughter? That's some real Mother of the Year material there!"

"You're one to talk!" Mother retorted. "Drinking and cursing in front of her! You're setting an excellent example!"

Father took a big swig of his wine. "Whatever."

They've been like this for so long...

Mother sighed and looked at Felicia. "I'm sorry. How did things go today?"

"Well," Felicia said, "it quite thoroughly sucked."

"Did you at least learn anything about Nora?"

She grimaced. "I... I no longer believe she's guilty."

"How do you know? Are you sure?"

Sweat trickled down Felicia's brow. What could she say? How could she tell her mother that she tormented and killed someone who was innocent all along?

"Felicia, what happened? Felicia!"

No, she had to tell her. She couldn't lie to her. Mother always said that honesty was essential to running a healthy family. She was a blue SOUL, after all. A SOUL of integrity. Felicia had to tell her the truth.

She took a deep breath. "Mother... I... I killed her."

Mother's blue eyes widened. "What...?"

Father took another gulp of wine. "I'm gonna need another bottle."

"You mean, she's dead?" Mother asked.

"Oh, no! No!" Felicia assured her. "I reset after, but before that..."