Heartbreak

Jacob stood alone in an empty hall, contemplating the ongoing trial.

It wasn't clear who was winning. Monty had confessed to everything, but how credible was it? His story was difficult to believe, and even more difficult to believe he would just admit to it. Was revenge against Elizabeth really worth bringing himself down? Would the jury accept that?

Then again, it was just as hard to believe he would make it up. In court, no evidence was more convincing than a confession. After all, why would anyone plead guilty to a crime they hadn't committed? That was how the average civilian saw it, anyway. Maybe the jury could understand if Monty was trying to take the blame for someone else, but that wasn't the case here, as Monty was trying to drag Elizabeth down with him. Jacob could only imagine how confused the jury was.

The deciding factor would likely be where each individual juror stood on the monster issue. Elizabeth's conviction would be a major blow to the pro-barrier movement. If everyone found out that the President who had supported the Barrier murdered her own child... yeah. Without a doubt, people on the pro-freedom side would love to see Elizabeth executed. The political ramifications of this trial were not to be taken lightly.

Despite that, he still hoped Elizabeth would be found guilty. No matter what he believed, he couldn't let Elizabeth get away with what she did to Felicia. For her, he would gladly put aside his political views to see justice severed. He would just have to convince everyone that not everyone who wanted the monsters gone were like Elizabeth; she was just a bad example.

... that was true, wasn't it?

"You look troubled, Son."

As Jacob agonized over these thoughts, the devil herself approached. Elizabeth walked to Jacob's side, with an irritated expression on her face. Did she truly feel no remorse for killing Felicia, or was she just hiding it like the politician she was?

Either way, Jacob didn't want to speak with her. When this trial was over, he hoped to never see her again.

Regardless, Elizabeth spoke to him. "What are you doing?" she demanded. "Do you realize that you're putting all of humanity at risk?"

"I know exactly what I'm doing," Jacob countered. "When this trial is over, no humans will be harmed."

Elizabeth scoffed. "Oh, how clever," she sneered. "You proud of yourself?"

"Are you?"

"I did what I had to, and I would do it all over again."

Jacob couldn't believe he was hearing this. "Elizabeth, do you realize you just admitted to killing Felicia?"

"We're off the record now," Elizabeth said. "No lawyers, no judge, just a nice chat between mother and son."

Jacob's fists clenched and shook. "How can you call yourself my mother after what you did?"

For a while, Elizabeth said nothing. She looked away and stared into nothingness. "... remember what I taught you? Anyone willing to take must also be willing to sacrifice. If I could give my life to end the monster threat, I'd do it in a heartbeat, but that wasn't an option. I had to make do with the cards I was given, and Felicia was the worst card I have ever been dealt.

"Perhaps I failed Felicia as a parent, but I haven't the faintest idea where I went wrong. I don't know why Felicia choose to oppose me. I truly wish she hadn't, but that's what happened."

Elizabeth turned to face him; her gaze seemed to pierce right though his soul. "For the good of humanity, I'm willing to destroy an entire species, and so are you. If we're willing to kill over a million innocents, why should we hesitate to kill one of our own? That's hypocrisy. This isn't a petty matter of racial superiority. This isn't foolish, irrational bigotry. It's necessary. It's nothing more than pragmatic survival. To ensure the safety of humanity, I'm willing to take everything the monsters have, and I'm also willing to give everything I have."