Favorite Person

"Monsters are weird. Even though they barely know you... It feels like they all really love you."

-Asriel Dreemurr

#

The new MTT Restaurant was quite a bit larger than the one back underground. The expanded space accommodated its new human patrons, and in the front of the restaurant was a large stage for Mettaton and others to give performances. Mettaton had spared no expense on it.

Frisk and Chara were seated at their table. As he'd requested, there were already two hot cups of golden flower tea on it, and the table was decorated with a candle and a golden golden flower in an elegant glass pot. How romantic! When the waitress came to take their order, they decided to share a steak. Back in the underground, monsters didn't have enough animals to serve actual meat, but here on the surface, the Steak in the Shape of Mettaton's Face was made with real beef, much to Chara's delight.

Their waitress, a cow monster, sighed. "How would you like that cooked?"

"RARE!" Chara screamed. She blushed. "U-uh... I mean, if that's okay with you, Frisk."

Frisk smiled. "Rare is good."

The waitress left to put in their order. Chara smiled back at Frisk. "So, here we are."

"Yeah..." Frisk replied. He took a sip of his tea. It was a bit hot, but it was good. Chara sipped her tea as well. "How is it?" Frisk asked.

Chara put her cup down. "It's great."

Frisk knew a lot about Chara, but there were still a few things about her he'd never found out. "Hey, Chara, why do you like golden flowers so much?"

"Hmm... I don't really know, actually," she answered. "I always liked plants, and I'd often help Father out in the garden. I loved that garden, but without the golden flowers, I felt like something was missing. I cannot say why, but for some reason, I really did miss the golden flowers from my village. They were pretty much the only good thing from that hellhole."

Frisk took another sip of his tea. "Was it really that bad?"

"...Perhaps I'm not being fair," Chara admitted. "It probably wasn't so bad, provided you had the right family, but my parents... I don't think they could have loved anything that was not in a bottle and full of alcohol."

"...I'm sorry."

Chara shook her head. "No, I'm sorry. I already broke my promise, didn't I? Besides, at least they didn't outright abandon me like yours... Sorry..."

Frisk shrugged. "There was nothing I could do, so why be morose about it?"

"Heh, sounds like some of my former philosophy rubbed off on you." She stared at him with so much fondness in her eyes. "How could anyone let go of you so easily? I wonder how they feel about their choice now."

"They're either relived, or they're cursing themselves. I don't really know, and I can't say I care." It may have seemed unusually cold for him, but Frisk honestly didn't care about his 'real' parents. He never needed them. He found his own family, his own loving mother and father. His biological parents made their choice. They abandoned him because they were afraid of his red SOUL. If Frisk had become... one of the bad World Masters, they weren't ready for that responsibility. They choose security over love. Frisk just hoped they could accept the consequences.

Chara sipped her tea. "Well, enough about that. So... yeah. Those flowers were my only source of comfort back then, so that's why I love them so much."

Frisk smiled and picked up the golden flower on the table. He gave it to Chara. "Here, your favorite flower, for my favorite person."

Frisk could have sworn he heard something that sounded like... a groan, but it hadn't come from Chara. It must have been some creep watching them, but it sounded... close. Weird.