Players and Pawns

"Yeah, you're right. No! I'd never doubt you, Chara. Never! Y... yeah!"

-Asriel Dreemurr

#

Felicia decided to confide her suspicions to her parents. They met in her bedroom while Flora stood guard outside. Hopefully, it was secure.

"Mother, Father," Felicia said, "I think I know who's trying to kill me."

"Already?" Father asked.

"Who?" Mother asked.

"It's Nora," Felicia confidently said.

Mother nodded. "Yes, she's a likely suspect."

Father didn't look so sure. "Nora? She's just a child."

"I know it's her," Felicia said. "Among several other suspicious actions, she didn't even care when Jacob died. She laughed when he was poisoned. It has to be her."

Father still wasn't convinced. "How could a fourteen-year-old convince Kawasaki to kill you?"

"W-well, umm..."

"True," Mother said. "Nora is likely not the mastermind behind this plot. However, I still believe it's possible that she's involved somehow."

"Y-yes!" Felicia said. "Thank you, Mother!"

"Thank you?" Mother echoed. "Felicia, you sound like you want it to be Nora."

She averted her eyes. "Well, it would be better than someone like Nate."

"I don't see how it could be anyone other than John or Eva," Father said. "Rest assured, those two will be investigated thoroughly. And Felicia, until we figure this out, you need to stay safe."

Felicia grit her teeth. "No! I will not cower behind this mansion while someone is trying to hurt us!"

"Felicia..."

"I can help! Let me investigate Nora!"

"No, you will stay–"

Mother cut him off. "I say we let her do what she wants."

Father looked at her in disbelief. "Elizabeth! Our daughter is being hunted! We cannot allow her to–"

"Felicia can take care of herself," Mother said. "She's the World Master. Even if she does die, she can come back stronger. Whoever's trying to kill her has lost their mind."

"Those deaths aren't making her stronger! They're hurting her! Can't you see that?"

"I'm fine!" Felicia insisted.

"Look at yourself," Father said. "This isn't you, Felicia. You never want to hurt anyone."

"I never want to hurt anyone innocent," she said. "These killers are not innocent. They killed Jacob. Anyone who murderers an innocent ten-year-old deserves worse than death."

"Even so, you aren't the type to seek revenge."

She raised an eyebrow. "Don't I deserve revenge?"

Father looked very disturbed. "I understand that you're angry, but you can't let that control you. I want this killer brought to justice, but I won't let that come at the cost of who you are."

"Perhaps you don't know me as well as you thought," Felicia coldly said. "Since when have I ever allowed anyone to control me? Nobody tells me what to do. You should know that better than anyone."