Playtime

"It's so excited that it thinks fighting is just play."

-Check text for the Greater Dog

#

Freedom... outside...

Want... want to play...

Outside... humans here...

Humans... humans... nice.

See... nice human...

Want to play...

No! Playing with human... dangerous!

Yes! Playing with human... fun!

Play... play with human...

#

Feeling sick from the disgusting snail pie, Frisk stumbled into his room, closed the door, turned on his TV, and collapsed onto the couch. He'd be fine... eventually...

The current program on TV was Ebott News.

Frisk groaned. Lately, Ebott News only wanted to talk about two things: Chara (who had once again been branded as a 'demon'), and the threat of monsters absorbing human souls. The potential of war made for much catchier headlines than anything about peace or happiness.

"Today, we have an exclusive look into the Human Government's findings under Mount Ebott," the reported announced. "We are excited to present a special report from our very own President Malcom!"

The camera cut to the inside of the Snowdin Library. Malcom was sitting in a chair, reading a dark green book.

"This book is an interesting read," Malcom stated without taking his eyes off it. "Listen to this." He began to read the book out loud. "'Love, hope, compassion... This is what people say monster SOULs are made of. But the absolute nature of 'SOUL' is unknown. After all, humans have proven their SOULs don't need these things to exist.'"

Malcom closed the book and stared at the camera with a stern expression. "So... according to monsters, they are MADE OF love and compassion, while humans can easily exist without these traits. They claim that they are fundamentally better than humans, as manifested by their very SOULs. I must be frank here; this is some of the most blatant, inflammatory, misanthropic propaganda I have ever seen!"

Frisk winced. Now that he thought about it, that book actually did sound pretty racist.

"It seems clear that monsters did not regard humanity as the greatest people," Malcom continued. "To be fair, who can blame them? For millennia, they have resented us for being the reason they were trapped under Mount Ebott. For millennia, they have blamed us for all their problems. Just over a year ago, they were technically at war with humanity. Can we really believe all of that hatred simply vanished just because some kid came through and acted nice?"

No... it was never about hate. The monsters just wanted to be free. Asgore only declared war because he thought it was necessary. It wasn't out of any desire for power or revenge. Asgore never wanted those things. He just wanted to give his people hope. It was never because the monsters hated humanity. They just... didn't trust them. They thought if they escaped to the surface... it would be kill or be killed.

Frisk prayed that the monsters were wrong.

"Despite this, monsters seem to have gotten along with us just fine so far," Malcom admitted. "Perhaps most monsters really do mean well, but how long will it last? How long will it be until a monster who isn't so nice gets ahold of human souls? If such a monster gets seven souls, will the Sentry Monsters even be able to stop them? When it happens, how many humans will die? How many monsters will die? What if we can't-"