Then and Now

Frisk and Chara returned home, not quite as cheerful as they were hoping. Their date was wonderful, but Asriel... had never come back. They hoped they'd find him back home.

Toriel greeted them in the foyer. "Welcome back, my children!" She giggled. "Did you enjoy your date?"

"Yes," Frisk answered, "but... is Asriel here?"

Toriel looked surprised. "He is not with you? He said he was going to follow you there. That was harmless, was it not? After all, it is not as if you two are serious about this. As if you are ever serious, Frisk!"

...Damn it, Toriel...

"We did see him there," Chara explained, "but he suddenly disappeared."

Toriel shared their concern. "What? Where did he go?"

"We don't know," Frisk answered.

"W-well, Asriel can take care of himself," Toriel said to reassure them, and herself. "I am certain he will return before long."

"I hope so," Chara said.

"Y-yeah," Frisk agreed. "Asriel can take care of himself. He was probably just tired of watching us... you know. I'm sure he's just out exploring or something."

"He did enjoy such activities," Toriel reminisced. "He did not like feeling trapped in the castle all the time. Were it not for that, he may not have found Chara that fateful day..."

Chara grunted. Frisk knew what she was thinking. If Asriel hadn't been there, the Dreemurrs may never have adopted her, and Asriel never would have died.

Toriel smiled. "Well, cheer up you two! I am sure there is nothing to worry about. I know Asriel would not want to keep us worried about him. We shall see him soon, as he likes to say." She suddenly realized something. "Oh! Actually, have you tried calling him? He has a cellphone, does he not?"

"Ah, that's right!" Frisk exclaimed. While he was exploring Alphys's true laboratory, Asriel had called him. He even saved his number as 'Creepy Guy.' He... probably needed to change that.

Frisk renamed the contact to... 'Asriel,' and he called it.

"Oh, howdy, Frisk!"

"Asriel! Where are-"

Chara snatched the phone out of his hand. "Brother! Are you okay? Where are you?"

Asriel laughed. "Oh, don't worry about me!"

"Don't worry?! You had me worried SICK! Why did you leave us like that?"

"I realized that I have better things to do! Besides, I thought you two wanted be alone!"

"W-well, you're not wrong, but... what are you doing?"

"What am I doing? I'm just... seeing a friend!"

"Hey, that sounds nice!" Frisk said. "Who is it?"

"Umm... it's... not someone you'd know... Uh, sorry, guys, but I can't stay to chat. See you soon!" Asriel hung up.

Chara looked puzzled. "Something seems... off."

Frisk shrugged. "Maybe, but at least he's okay."

Chara sighed in relief. "Yeah..."

"See?" Toriel asked. "There was nothing to worry about! Asriel is just out with a friend! That is very good to hear, especially... considering his condition..."

Frisk smiled. "Yes, I'm proud of him!"

"I suppose so..." Chara said. "Oh, and, Mother... there is something Frisk and I need to make clear..." Her face reddened.