Phantom Pain

Why even bother?

Frisk and Chara were taking Flowey to Alphys's lab. He wasn't sure why. He knew there was no way that lizard could save him, not without a monster soul. Why did they insist on wasting time when Boaris was planning to become an unstoppable god? He always knew that Frisk's sentimentality would be the death of him, but he thought Chara knew better.

They arrived at the lab and knocked on the door, Undyne greeted them, with a nervous expression on her face. "Oh, hey!"

Frisk smiled at her. "Hi, Undyne! How are you doing?"

"Oh, we're doing great!" she said. "Alphys is doing just fine!"

Sure...

Frisk frowned. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah! There's nothing wrong with Alphys whatsoever! Why would you say that?"

Frisk tried to step inside, but Undyne blocked him. "H-hey! Uh, it's a nice day outside, isn't it? Why don't you stay out here for a while?"

"Undyne, what's wrong?" Chara asked.

"Nothing!" Undyne insisted. "Alphys just needs a minute... or an hour."

They moved past Undyne and saw Alphys. She was at her computer, looking very distraught. She panicked when she saw them. "O-oh! Hey, everyone!"

"Alphys, what's the matter?" Frisk asked.

'Oh, it's nothing!" Alphys lied.

Chara and Flowey looked at Alphys's computer screen. It was on her email account, and her inbox was full of hateful messages over Endogeny and the other amalgamates. People were blaming her for Endogeny's incident.

"Malcom deserves death," Chara growled. "His malicious communications need to stop."

"Alphys..." Frisk hugged her. "It's not your fault."

"That's what I keep telling her!" Undyne exclaimed.

"But it is my fault," Alphys said. "If I hadn't given them all that DT so carelessly, they would be at peace, but instead I forced them to live as... Well, you know how they are."

"Hey, it's not all bad," Flowey said. "At least they can still feel happiness and stuff." Oh, wait, probably not helping.

Alphys sniffled. "I know why you're here. No, I haven't made any progress on Asriel. Pathetic, isn't it? I can't correct any of my mistakes."

Big surprise there.

"Th-that's all right, Alphys," Frisk said, although he failed to hide some disappointment.

"Is there anything I can do?" Chara asked.

"Can you get me a spare monster soul?" Alphys responded.

As Jerry would say, awkward...

"I'd love to give you Boaris's soul," Chara said. "That bastard wants all of you to go back underground."

Alphys nodded. "I can understand that."

Undyne wasn't as understanding. "What?! Boaris wants us to go back? Fuck... Uh, I mean, screw that!"

"Yes, fuck that," Chara said.

Golly, Toriel wouldn't... Who was he kidding? Toriel was no stranger to that kind of language. Asgore, on the other hand, would be very unhappy to hear Chara talk like that.

"Seriously, though!" Undyne exclaimed. "You worked so hard to get us here, and now Boaris wants us to go back? Why?"

"He's afraid of another war breaking out," Frisk explained. "He thinks it's safer for both races if monsters just went back to Mount Ebott. Apparently, he's working with Malcom to make this happen."