Not Fun

"Everyone may think you are a good person, but this snowman knows the truth. Someday, your friends will realize your heart is as cold as my butt."

-Snowman

#

Frisk reached out to touch Gaster. "Hey."

As soon as his hand touched him, Frisk was frozen in place, ant the color of his body gradually faded. What was happening to him?!

"Frisk!" Chara ran to him and grabbed his arm. She had to save him, before he disappeared forever. "I won't let you...!"

The colorless effect spread to Chara. Her green shirt turned gray, and then everything turned white...

When her vision returned, the room was empty. Gaster, Frisk, and Flowey were nowhere to be found.

Chara darted her head around the room. Where did they go?! "Frisk? Asriel? What happened?!"

There was no response.

Chara collapsed to her knees. How could Frisk be taken away from her so easily? What had Gaster done to him?! What had he done to Chara? She looked at her arms. The color was back, but what did it matter? Frisk and Flowey were gone.

She let out a sob. This was her fault! She should have stayed outside like Frisk told her to, but because of her recklessness, he had disappeared. In an instant, she had lost Frisk and Flowey, and she was powerless to fix it. She was a useless, stupid...

Quit whining. I'm sure they're fine.

H-how can you be so sure?

Frisk doesn't seem like the type to die so easily. I'm sure he's out there somewhere. Asriel, too. Just get out of here and look for them.

Yes... yes. She couldn't give in to despair. Frisk and Flowey were fine; she just had to find them. At any rate, she wasn't going to accomplish anything by crying in this room. Chara got up and turned back to the exit. She opened the door.

Why was she surprised when she found herself standing in a place that wasn't Waterfall?

Chara looked around. For some reason, she was in the center of New Home, the former capitol of monsterkind, now abandoned. It was so weird to see the once bustling city...

Wait, what?!

It wasn't empty. Chara saw several monsters roaming the streets. It wasn't quite as crowded as she remembered from her time underground, but how was this possible?! New Home was abandoned as soon as the barrier was broken! Why were there monsters here?

They spotted her immediately, and screams rang out.

"Oh my God! Human!"

"Run! Run for your lives!"

Panic spread throughout the entire city like wildfire. Monsters all around scrambled to get away from her. Chara had absolutely no idea what was going on. Where did these people come from, and why were they so afraid of her?

Chara tried to find someone to talk to, but every single person ran away. The streets around her had completely cleared out. The monsters were desperate to flee from her as quickly as possible.

I thought you said monsters left the Underground?

They did! This doesn't make sense! The barrier is broken; they have no reason to be here!

Maybe... the barrier wasn't broken here?

Chara slowly started to grasp what might have happened. She hadn't simply been teleported, had she? No, she was in a different timeline, where the monsters were still trapped underground, and terrified of humans. Since the war, monsters had always feared humanity, but this was on another level. Something terrible must have happened here.