Hopeless Dreams

Chara had another dream, more vivid this time.

These dreams were strange, because Chara wasn't actually part of them. She was inside someone else's body, kind of like how she had once been inside Frisk's body. The same boy from the last dream walked up to the girl that Chara was inside. The boy was a small child who looked somewhere around ten years old. Although Chara could not see her face, she guessed that the girl was about two or three years older than her brother. Again, they had met in an open field, filled with golden flowers, and it was a beautiful sunny day.

"Felicia..." the brother said. "Are you really the World Master now?"

Felicia nodded.

"That's... great," the brother said. "But... you know what Mom and Dad want you to do."

Felicia clenched her fists. "I don't care."

"But Mom and Dad-"

"MOM AND DAD ARE WRONG!"

"S-sister..."

"... sorry," Felicia apologized. "But I've made my decision. I'm going to do everything I can to set the monsters free. They've been trapped for way too long. They deserve to see the sun again. It's time for the barrier to go."

The brother looked conflicted. "I want to believe you, but Mom and Dad said they're dangerous. After all, they killed that one child."

"Then why didn't he fight back?" Felicia asked. "Everyone just assumed the monster had killed the child, but if that were true, he would have attacked the village. I think the monster was just trying to return the dead child. It must have been a gesture of peace! And how did we respond? With violence!"

"But what about the other six kids who climbed the mountain and never returned?" the brother asked.

"Well, duh! Once you go in the barrier, you can't get out! It doesn't mean the monsters killed them!"

"Then why did the Government block off the mountain?"

"That's not to keep us safe. It's to keep the monsters trapped."

"But... Mom and Dad-"

"Jacob... I know you love them, but you don't have to believe everything they say."

Jacob grimaced. "I don't want to choose between you and them."

Felicia whimpered, and she hugged her brother. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to put you in the middle. I don't want you to accept what they say without question, but you can believe whatever you want. Whether you agree with me or our parents, I'll still love you."

Jacob hugged back. "Thank you."

"So, what do you believe? You can be honest! I won't get mad!"

"... I don't know," Jacob answered. "I've never met them."

Felicia smiled. "Well, that's alright. I love you, Brother."

Jacob smiled back. "I love you too, Sister."

#

Chara woke up.

Why was she having these dreams? Was it... from her SOUL? Was her SOUL really empty...? She thought back to when she was inside Frisk's head. Back then, it took deliberate effort to communicate with him. Chara took a deep breath, and she tried to communicate that same way again.

... hey, is anyone there? Felicia...?

No response.

Apparently, Chara was experiencing memories from the SOUL's previous owner, but this Felicia did not seem to be around. Chara's curiosity overwhelmed her. She had to know whose Felicia was. Was she still out there somewhere? If she still existed... Chara wouldn't be able to justify keeping the SOUL for herself. Chara would gladly give it back. Maybe she could even go back in Frisk's head. Even without a SOUL, living inside of Frisk wasn't so bad...