Justice

"You didn't kill anybody this time. But what will you do if you meet a relentless killer?"

-Flowey

#

Nate walked into Jacob's office and sat down. He was sitting behind his desk, and Nora was standing beside him. Nate had no idea what this was about.

"Agent Miller," Jacob said, "I trust you have been keeping Frisk safe?"

As if that were his job. "Of course, Mr. President."

"I assume you've heard that Chara has awakened from her coma, yes?"

"Yes, I know." Where was he going with this?

"That coma was a very curious case," Jacob said. "The doctors found no sign of physical trauma. It was as if her own SOUL had willed its body to stay asleep. They had never seen anything like it."

"Uh, yeah..."

Jacob looked right through him. "Nate, do you have any idea what could have caused this?"

Yes. "No, I have no idea."

Jacob's gaze cut even deeper. Ever since Boaris's rampage, an unspoken tension had grown between them. Although they continued to put on a friendly façade, they both knew the truth. They were no longer on the same side.

"You have been doing your job, haven't you?" Jacob asked. "You're supposed to keep an eye on Frisk, and anyone close to him."

"If I had any clue what was going on with that demon, I'd tell you."

"You were never a good liar, Nate."

He felt a slight chill, but he held his ground.

"Frisk never should have taken that SOUL," Jacob said. "He should have turned it over to us, but instead, he unlawfully appropriated it for himself. If he were anyone else, I would have arrested him already."

He was one to talk about stealing SOULs. "Why? Could we have found a better use for it?"

"Why, yes. I think we could have found a much better use for it than satisfying Frisk's demon fetish."

"Like what?! Another soul to feed Boaris?!"

... I said that out loud...

Jacob raised an eyebrow. "That... is quite an accusation, Agent Miller."

"Oh, shut up!" Nate yelled. "I know what you did!"

He folded his arms. "I don't know what you're talking about."

Nate jumped out of his seat and slammed his fist on Jacob's desk. "What's gotten into you?! The Jacob I knew would never do the things you've done. What would Felicia think if she saw you now?"

"What would she think if she saw what Boaris had done?"

"Don't cover up your own crimes with his! You helped him!"

"Did Frisk tell you that? That kid is dangerously skilled at brainwashing people."

For just a moment, Nate wondered if Jacob was telling the truth. What if Frisk was lying? He could say anything had happened before a reset. How hard could it be...?

No, Nate knew what Jacob did. He felt it, somewhere deep in his soul. He had seen it all himself; he had just forgotten.

"Now," Jacob said, "if you're done with your baseless accusations, let's get back to business. Nate, you will continue to monitor Frisk as usual, but be advised that I'm assigning Nora to investigate the origin of Chara's SOUL. We need to understand exactly what she is, and what she's capable of. Furthermore, it's possible that someone is still in that SOUL. If so, they must be saved from that demon."