Providence of The Universe

우주의 섭리

"Juseon-ah, I can't believe your book is already selling so well! I'm so proud of you~"

Juseon smiled at his mother, happiness bursting in his chest.

"Thank you, Mama. I just wrote an idea that came from the weird dreams I kept talking about — turns out, it sells well!"

His joking tone is acknowledged, Mother laughing along with him.

They were eating dinner, the two of them at the table, enjoying their food as well as the conversation. It had always been the two. No father, no siblings. Just him and his mother.

"I can't believe my boy's grown so much. I'm so happy to see you do well at such a young age. I never expected you to release such a good selling book when you failed language class in high school."

Juseon laughed cutely, nodding along.

"I didn't think so, either, Mama. I can't believe a book signing is coming up, soon, too. I'll be able to see so many people who read my book!"

"I'm so happy for you, Seon. But, to have this going, do you think you'll write another book, hm? Any other plot ideas you got from your dreams or is it just the loverboy demon one?"

Juseon hummed, playing with his spoon, thinking about it.

"Maybe. I don't know. I still want to do dancing, but writing seems fun too now, I guess."

With a warm smile, his mother comfortingly rubbed his shoulder from across the table.

"Whatever you do, I'll be here to support you, yeah? I'm always here to support you, Juseon."

Heart clenching, Juseon felt like crying. He was so happy to have his mother, it almost felt like it's been a long time since he's experienced motherly love —even if he's been attached with his mother since birth— and is being blessed right now with the one he has now.

"Thank you. I love you, Mama."

"Awh, sweetie. I love you too, lovely child."

Seowon stared at the book.

It'd been a month.

A month had passed since he spontaneously bought this book.

The Addictive Kiss of a Demon, a novel by Chimmy.

He still didn't remember why he actually bought it. He barely read — especially not a romance. If he read, he'd read textbooks and informative books than novels.

But, this book made him feel so strange; nothing made sense to him relating to it.

Whenever he came into his office — where the book had been the whole time since he'd bought it — he could never resist to throw a look at it, feeling drawn towards it.

Blinking to avert his gaze, Seowon let out a soft breath of thought, a little frustrated at all the sudden things that were happening.

Were these related to the dream? Or was he just fucked up? Was he actually just insane and didn't realize his whole life?

Groaning in exasperation at his thoughts, he ruffled his hair, scratching his scalp in annoyance.

What the hell? he thought angrily, wanting to just disappear and not have to deal with all these confusing things. He knew he used to be passionate about finding answers, but after all these years, he'd given up, just wanting to live life as normally as he could for how far he'd reached now.

He hadn't found anything, and it just felt like they'd been driving him to insanity. Now, just after some years of giving up, it was haunting him, trailing up behind him in the form of this book.

Harshly biting his lip, he stood up, aggressively walking over to the book, feeling more tingles as he got closer, but also more annoyed at the fact he was. Angrily, he grabbed the book, wanting to throw it away, completely done with all this bullshit.

Scowling, he glared at the book, looking down at the name — Chimmy. His scowl deepened, grip tightening on the book in irritation.

Gritting his teeth and sharply turning towards the trashcan, he charged towards it, holding out the book so he could throw it away, tired of seeing it.

Tightly pursing his lips when he was there, holding out the book right above the can, he paused.

After a few seconds of staying still, just staring down at the book, feeling like the book was staring back, he sighed in defeat. Stepping back to sit down on his chair, he gave in.

Glancing at the trashcan one last time, he looked back at the book, shaking the thought off now.

With another sigh, he swiveled his chair around to face his desk, leg propped up comfortably.

Finally, he opened the book, and started reading.