Matt

Parent Teacher Conference for your son

"We have to go now if we want to make it on time." I called to Matt in the kitchen, "What the hell are you doing in there anyways?"

"Taking a shot, if Aiden is anything like he is at home, I'll need it."

I rolled my eyes and shrugged on my coat, opening the door, the cold air nipped at my skin and I knew my nose, cheeks and ears were going to be red soon.

"Matt, I swear-"

"I'm coming, I'm coming." He hobbled towards me and locked the door behind us.

He held the small of my back as we sat in front of Aiden's teacher.

"Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Donovan, how has your day been going so far?" She looked up from sheets of paper.

"Fine." I smiled, "We need to get back home as soon as possible, though. To cook dinner for Aiden."

Matt looked at me, confused. I kicked his leg, lightly under the table and he nodded, "Chicken Parmesan, very tedious process."

I forced a smile and she nodded, "Very well."

I tapped my foot, impatiently as she searched through her drawers, "I can't seem to find his...Oh, here it is." She held up a gray folder, blotched with red paint.

"What happened to it?" Matt chuckled.

"Your son." She laughed, "He saw it and finger-painted all over it."

Matt looked at me before laughing again, "He is quite the child."

"He really is." She nodded, "I called you guys here today to tell you about Aiden and his behavior in class. I'm sorry that I didn't specify that this is a positive meeting. I believe that Aiden needs to move up a reading level." The teacher grabbed two sheets of paper, handing one to Matt and another to me.

I skimmed it and smiled at how good our boy was at summarizing a short story he read.

"His reading and writing skills are beyond what we have for his grade level, although his behavior may sometimes be out of control, I don't think it's something to worry about involving him getting off task. He only seems to get that way when it's recess or free time. Aiden is a great student and an amazing learner."

I smiled, widely, looking at Matt.

"Thank you so much." He stood and shook her hand, "That's such great news to hear."

"Yes, it really is." I shook her hand as well before she yelled out to us, "Enjoy your Chicken Parmesan!"

We will.

"Thank you!"