Road Trip(part 2)

Will's POV

It was the warmth of the sun streaming through the window and cold feet pressed against my back that woke me the next morning. When I cracked open my eyes I was staring into Nico's sleeping face, his mouth ajar and his eyes still shut. Throughout the course of the night he had pulled the blankets tightly to his body so they bunched around him like a nest, his head poking out of the mass. His gentle breathing made the hair on his forehead flutter and for a few minutes I couldn't take my eyes off of his angelic face until he kicked me in the stomach in his sleep and the magic was gone.

I stood up, stretching as I surveyed the room. We hadn't brought much with us, and all that was lying on the floor were our clothes in a messy heap. As I was putting my jeans back on my stomach gave a loud rumble, and I was suddenly reminded of breakfast. I was ready to pick up and leave but Nico was still asleep, snoring quietly in the bed and I didn't want to wake him so I climbed back into the bed, my back up against the headboard as I listened to the sound of his breathing fill the room.

It didn't take him long to wake up and soon he was giving me a sleepy smile, sitting up and resting his head against my chest. "How long have you been awake?" he murmured, his voice thick with sleep.

"Not long," I said. "We should go soon, though. There isn't much to do here, and you must be hungry." Nico nodded, sliding out of the bed and throwing on his rumpled tee shirt from the floor. 

"So, what do you have planned?" he asked once we were both fully dressed and the covers were hastily pulled over the bed. 

"I was thinking Denny's," I said. "There's one up the road if you want. We just have to check out first." Nico nodded and once we were checked out we were back in the car, driving down the road. I hadn't known what time it was but the sun rising over rolling hills in the distance told me that it must have been early, or at least early for a high school student to wake up on the weekend. I supposed it was a consequence of going to sleep so early last night, and I wasn't unhappy. When I looked over at Nico he was smiling at the sky, his head resting on the window pane and the sunrise reflecting in his eyes. The road was quiet as we drove, and we only passed a few cars as the wheels propelled us down the highway. 

The parking lot was abandoned when we reached the Denny's but the lights were still on, a warm yellow glow spilling out of the windows. We climbed out of the car and it felt like the newly risen sun was pushing us inside the doors as we walked inside, sitting on opposite sides of a booth, supported by cherry red cushions. We were greeted by a cheerful waitress, an order pad tucked inside her checkered apron. "What can I get you kids?" she asked, a wide smile taking over her face. 

"I'll have a coffee, black," Nico said, peering at the menu in front of him. 

"And I'll have one with five creams and five sugars," I said. 

"Any chance you're ready to order?"

"Yeah, I'll have the french toast," I said. The waitress was scribbling something down on her order pad. 

"I'll have the stack of pancakes," Nico said. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, sweetie," she said, holding her hand out for the menus. Once she was gone, I turned on Nico. 

"How can you even think about drinking black coffee?" I asked. "It's impossible. It's disgusting. It's as bitter as my seventh grade science teacher."

"It's good," Nico argued. "You load your coffee up with so much junk it's not even coffee. It's just cream and sugar with a little bit of caffeine in there."

"It's good," I snapped. "You can't judge something that you've never tried." 

"Well, that's exactly what you're doing," Nico said. Our eyes met and we broke out into laughter.