The Last of Summer

Nico's POV

I let a giant tent bag thump onto the dirt, surveying the surroundings. All I could see was trees, and in the background I could hear a soft brook running through the forest. 

"I still don't understand why we're here," Annabeth muttered, pulling out the tent. "You do know we live in a camp, right?" 

"I know, but we need some bonding time before half of us leave!" Percy complained. "Just the seven of us. Also Nico and Will." I couldn't help but roll my eyes, although a small smile crept onto my face. Percy was an idiot, but he was a lovable idiot, there was no denying that. "Hey, does anyone know how to set this up?" 

"Move over and let the master do his work," Leo snorted. "This is a Leo approved tent, and I can set it up with just the push of a button." He crouched down, prodding at a small golden button on the bottom right corner until the tent sprang up, fully formed. 

"You really are a genius, Leo," Piper grinned, stepping inside. 

"Yeah, I know." 

The tent was spacious, warm despite the cool breeze moving through the forest. There didn't seem to be any extra bells and whistles like most of Leo's creations had but even so it was a work of art. I claimed the top left corner, Will rolling out his sleeping bag so close to mine they were touching. Percy and Annabeth took the top right, Jason and Piper in the bottom left and Frank and Hazel in the bottom right, leaving the massive middle section to Leo. He sprawled out on his sleeping bag, sighing and closing his eyes. The tent was silent as the nine demigods unpacked, pulling out pillows and laying out swords and daggers beside sleeping bags, just in case any monsters attacked during the night. 

Will nudged me. "Do you want to go swimming?" I thought about the burbling creek close by, Will splashing around shirtless in the water, the cool yet pleasant air. To me, it sounded like heaven. I slid into my swim suit underneath my sleeping bag, managing to wriggle into the smooth black shorts. Will was wearing a soft yellow pair, smiling widely. 

"Race you!" I called, sprinting out of the tent. As my feet slipped on the grass and pebbles made tiny indentations at the bottom I could hear Will's feet pounding behind me. He was a fast runner and he was gaining ground, but I was determined to win. I lept into the water, plugging my nose as I sunk down through the crystal clear liquid. I hit the bottom and I popped up, throwing Will a smirk as I spotted his dumbfounded face. "What do I get?" I asked. "Since I won." Will grabbed my hand, pulling me closer to him as he drew me in for a kiss. My body was slippery against his, but Will didn't seem to care. 

"Was that good enough for you?" he asked. 

"That was the best prize I could have gotten," I responded. 

"Hey, lovebirds, try to keep it PG, will you?" Jason and Piper appeared on the river's edge, Jason wearing light blue swim trunks with tiny lightning rods peppering it and Piper in a faded red bikini that complemented her hair.

"Hey, this is our river, too," Will complained. "If we want to kiss in it, we will." Piper kicked a gentle splash into my face, water raining over me and plastering my hair to my forehead. 

"Do you want to fight for it?" Piper asked, a gleam in her multicolored eyes. With a sweep of his arm Will sent a wave of water at the couple on the shore, leaving them both drenched. Jason grinned, the same grin he used while defeating monsters and jumped into the water, splashing us with a wall of water. I sent a wave at Jason, splashing him in the face and Piper somehow crept up behind Will, sending a handful of water at his face. 

It was hard to say when Hazel and Frank showed up but all I knew was that one second I was celebrating my victory over Piper and the next Hazel was in front of me, throwing a handful of water into my face and ducking under, giggling. I spun around to see that Frank had nailed Will in the face. Will got him back by spitting out the water into his face. 

It was all fun and games until Percy showed up. One minute we were six teenagers, hitting each other with small splashes and the next the son of the sea god was there, the river rising up at his command, hitting us and forcing us under the water for half a second before we popped up again, Jason red in the face. "Hey, that's not fair!" he complained. "I thought this was amateurs only!" 

"Sorry, bud, you're in my territory," Percy laughed, jumping in and dragging Annabeth with him. The water rose for them, catching them on a massive throne of water. I was left standing in a pile of dirt until Jason yelled at them to give back the water. 

The sky was bathed in hues of pink and purple when Leo finally came, bringing delicious scents with him. "Come on, everyone, soup's on!" he called, banging a pot with a huge wooden spoon. 

"What?" Will asked. Leo grinned, the size of it making his face look tiny. 

"Oh, you'll see. But the one thing you need to know is that King Leo always provides for his subjects." 

It was a buffet, spread out across two picnic tables and containing all of the camping foods you could possibly imagine, including a plate full of veggie hot dogs and veggie burgers for Piper. Chip bowls were spread out periodically, and giant bags of marshmallows sat between the plates of hot dogs and hamburgers. Although Leo could roast anything he wanted with just the snap of his fingers a giant fire was roaring in the fire pit, presumably for roasting marshmallows. We attacked the food, and I shoved half of a hot dog into my mouth before realizing it wasn't cooked and spitting it into the fire. Leo handed out sticks and I shoved a hot dog on it, sticking it inside the fire. 

"You're doing it wrong." I turned around to see Will behind me, holding a full plate of food. He set down the red paper plate, taking my hands in his and raising the stick just above the flames. His hands were warm against mine, his body pressing up against my back. I was suddenly enveloped in a feeling of calm happiness, my friends all around me and my boyfriend at my back. 

The food had disappeared, the final marshmallows roasting on the sticks above the fire. Piper's voice drifted high into the air, her stories sending chills into my veins. I shivered, and Will wrapped his arms around me. "Are you cold?" he murmured. 

"A little," I shrugged, resting my head on Will's chest. Piper's voice rose louder as her story reached its peak and Percy gave a start. 

"What?" he complained at Annabeth's amused look. "That was a scary story!" 

"Oh shut up, seaweed brain," Annabeth snickered. "Does anyone have any more stories?" 

"I think I'm going to bed," Piper sighed, hauling herself up from her folding chair. "I'm exhausted. Jason, you coming?" Jason nodded, following his girlfriend into the tent. Slowly the rest of the demigods trickled away from the campfire, Leo leaving last, claiming he needed his ten hours of beauty sleep, leaving Will and I alone in front of the fire. 

It was beginning to die down due to Leo not being able to tend to it but it still cast off a soft orange glow and it still let off a faint but present warmth. We sat in silence, my head still resting on Will's chest.  

"You're having a good time, right?" Will asked, pressing a soft kiss into the top of my head. 

"If you're here? Always." 

Hi, guys! I think this one turned out pretty good but I wrote most of this while I was exhausted, so I hope it's okay. Requests are open again, if anyone wants to ask for something. 

Nina