Wings

This was requested by @Monsterfalls9 and I know a few other people liked the idea. I tweaked the original request a little bit, but I hope you like it! BACKSTORY: Basically after Maria Di Angelo was killed instead of being sent to the lotus casino Nico and Bianca were sent up to olympus to do errands for the gods. They got wings to help them move faster, and they were basically angels. When Bianca decided to become a hunter Nico fell from olympus and eventually found Camp Half Blood. I'm not sure if that's too confusing, I'm sorry if it is.

Nico's POV

Sometimes they stung and I couldn't wear a normal bathing suit but mostly the wings were just a nuisance. I traced my hands across the wing patterns etched into my back, just a memory of the tall black wings that I used to have. Before I fell, I would fly around the world. I could still remember the wind in my hair, the feeling of my winds propelling me through the air. I could still remember the feeling of the silky soft feathers underneath my fingertips, the way it felt to unfurl them. But that was my old life. That was my life before Bianca gave up her life as an angel to become a hunter, dragging me down to the ground with her. It didn't help that she died a few weeks after she joined the hunters. My new life, however, was just as good as my old ones. I had friends and a boyfriend and one thing I knew was that they were not going to find out about my life before Camp Half Blood. My life as an angel.

I heard Will's voice calling to me from somewhere outside. "Nico, come on! Summer is almost over and this water isn't getting any warmer!" I rolled my eyes, pulling on a tight black swim shirt. I was getting taller and now it was just a tiny bit too short, barely covering the scars from my wings where the shirt didn't quite meet my swimsuit. I tugged the end down, checking in the full length mirror hanging on my door that the wings weren't visible. Satisfied with what I saw I slid on a pair of flip flops, heading out the door. As long as I didn't get too carried away, I would be fine.

As soon as I saw Percy's head bobbing in the cool, clear water, I knew I was in trouble. Percy was undoubtedly one of my best friends but his power with water got away from him. I recalled several times where he had gone to give me a light push and he had accidentally sent a massive wave at my head. The stress of people seeing my wings was starting to get to me. If I ever got any money, I'd have to buy a new swim shirt.

"Hey, Nico!" Will called. "Come on in!" I tugged my shirt down more, wishing it could go to my knees. I waded in, joining Will and Percy, the water lapping up around my waist.

"I don't know why you always wear that shirt," Percy commented. "I bet Will would love to see what's underneath." I gave Percy a light punch, my face heating up.

"Shut up," I responded.

"Hey, don't punch me." With a wave of his fist Percy made to give me a light punch back, but the water rose up with it. The wave rose high above me, and Percy was too late to try and stop it before it crashed down on top of me.

I flipped around underwater, and I could feel my shirt rising up. I tried to grab the end, to drag it down to cover the scars from my wings but I couldn't grab it and I popped up out of the water, right in front of Will and Percy.

"What is that?" Will asked, staring at my lower back. I felt for my shirt, finding the bottom of it in the middle of my back. I yanked it down, my face heating up.

"N- nothing," I stammered. My feet caught in the stand, the water stopping me as I tried to walk away.

"Were those wings?" I heard Percy's voice behind me.

"Yes, Percy, they were. You don't need to know why they're there." I felt a hand on my arm and I looked down to find Will, staring at me with his big blue eyes.

"Neeks, you know you can talk to me, right?"

"I know," I sighed. "I just need a little time." As I trudged out of the water I could feel the sand between my toes and the eyes of Percy and Will on my back.

It was dark out when I heard a knock at my cabin door. I hauled myself up from my bed, observing the lines in my comforter from where I had been lying for the past few hours. Walking toward the door I ran my hands across my back, feeling the faint grooves from where my wings used to be. When I opened the door Will was standing there, the faint light from the moon lighting him up from behind, almost like he was an angel. "Hey," he said. "Annabeth kind of explained everything to me. Wings are the only things that leave scars like that." He must have seen my eyes flit away from his, connecting with the wooden floor. "I don't know if you're ashamed of being an ex-angel, but you don't need to be. You're still the same Nico that I know and love."

"You're not mad?" I asked. "Being an angel used to be my life and I hid it from you."

"Nico, it doesn't matter, I get why you did it," he promised. "In fact, I have something to show you." He slid off his shirt, letting it fall into a limp heap on the floor and turned around. Etched into his back were a set of angel wings, black just like mine. They covered the entirety of his back, the tips ending just around his hips. "No matter what your past, you'll always be my boyfriend, and I'll always love you." He wrapped his arms around my waist, his hands brushing against the ends of my wings. I did the same, and I could feel his tattoo underneath my hands. We slowly swayed back and forth and even though I was on the ground when I was with Will, I felt like I was flying.

Hi guys! I hope the little tweaks to the prompt were okay and, as usual, I hope you like it!

Nina